Lost my sweet girl in broad daylight - Predator Alert System!

juls

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 31, 2008
Colorado
I lost my best hen to a racoon yesterday. She was a very good girl and deserved better. Was cleaning out the henhouse about 1:00 in the afternoon and let the girls out for some exercise when he nabbed her up. Knowing coons normally hunt at night I was concerned about the health of this animal (rabies?) and knew I needed to get it fast. Here's where my extremely brilliant husband came to the rescue and I'd like to pass on a idea that worked like a champ to get those nighttime mauraders.

Get a motion detector light. Set the detector up in the open where it can be easily seen from the house, and bait the area. Screw in a red light bulb in one side and a female plug-in adapter in the other. Plug a long extension cord into the adapter, bring the other end of the cord into the house and plug it into a radio. You got it! Movement sets the radio off alerting you to the predator and the red light illuminates the area without scaring the animal off. No more sleepless nights and needless to say that ol' coon won't be bothering my chickens anymore! Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Oh coons in the daytime are extra scary. We've had a couple in broad daylight running around here the last couple of years and the first thing DH and I were concerned with was that they might be rabid...which worried us more because our weiner dogs cannot be called off if they came across something like that.

I'm sorry for the loss of your best girl.
sad.png

Sorry to hear about your best hen! That is a brilliant idea for the predator warning system--I take it this worked for you to get the raccoon? You should put a note like "predator alert system" in your thread title!

Quote:
Great idea! And yes the contraption worked great. I know it sounds terrible to say, but killing that racoon did help me to feel better about losing my girl Margie. Didn't feel the least bit guilty.

I have to say, I'll admit to killing more than one coon in my life... and I don't feel to badly because they had it coming to them. Problem is, coons are like rabbits.... cept they don't taste like chicken.

Glad you got him.

I'd rather deal with coyotes any day. I only ever lost one bird at a time with the coyotes. Last spring a stoinking coon came after 8:00 in the morning after I'd left for work. Killed 4 ducks, left them lay. That night killed one more duck and 3 chickens, left them lay. Next morning was trying for an hour to get into another pen of chickens to kill. All his previous victims were only about 12 feet away. He was just killing for the fun of it. Couldn't shoot him, I'm in town and also would have made a big hole in the neighbor's shed. Couldn't trap him, apparently he knew all about traps and would not go into the Hav-a-hart trap, ( probably because some kind soul trapped him before and relocated him)

Quote:
IMHO: Relocation does not get it. EVER!

Well, maybe into the middle of a HUGE wildlife sanctuary.

Lots of info on BYC about why not....

Relocation works just fine.

First you need to tag the animal so you can tell if it does come back. I have found that wrapping about 3 feet of chain around it works best. Then place the animal in the boat and take out to the lake. When you get to the center of the lake, simply let it go.

Back
Top Bottom