lost my voice, any good home remedies?

ams3651

Songster
12 Years
Jan 23, 2008
NE PA
I started out the weekend with a cough and sore throat and sinus problems. Now Im left with a runny nose, sore throat and still no voice after 4 days. Aside from lemon and honey, anybody have any good home remedies that work? I dont have a warm humidifier, only cold and that doesnt help.

Two teas you can make: marshmallow root tea or horehound tea. Check your health food store for the Alvita brand of dried herbs. If you can find real horehound lozenges, let those dissolve in your mouth---warning, horehound tastes absolutely horrible. I haven't had marshmallow root, but I remember my grandmother pointing it out and telling me that it was good for sore throats.

Horehound is very easy to grow in a rock garden and a pretty plant. If you like making homemade candy, you will find that homemade horehound candy isn't hard to make. Even the homemade stuff tastes nasty (to me!).

Hope you feel better soon.

can you tell that to my kids
he.gif

Thanks
tongue.png

sorry i ment that for the being quiet and sitting in the steaming bathroom.....

Last edited:
No, sorry....
lol.png
I was a just a little kid when I first had horehound. My gr-grandmother loved them so much that she always kept a jar on her dressing table. Nasty little things....they must have worked well for her. She could talk for hours on a party line--that's a phone line shared by several houses. If anybody ever had laryngitis from talking too much, it would have been her.

You can always Ricola Natural Herbal cough drops--they taste pretty good. Target has them, sometimes grocery stores do.

Edited for spelling.

Last edited:
I went through that last month. Lost my voice and could not talk. I drank a lot of water, sucked a lot of cough drops, I do have warm humidifier, and another tea you can make is ground cloves & honey. Try not to talk, resting the voice is best, too.

We always made a gargle with lotsa salt and the hottest water you could stand. Left a thick slimy film in your mouth, making you have to spit several times, but it worked. If you want, of course you can add lemon.

omg I just got my voice back after losing it over a month ago - started out with a bad cough and it just got worse from there. the only thing I did was try to rest my voice, drink plenty of fluids

Julie

Back
Top Bottom