Lost one chicken, afraid of losing more. Advice and help much needed.

cedargrovefarm

Hatching
11 Years
Jul 2, 2008
Hi all. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me. I have a small backyard flock(11 hens) that are about 2 years old, have plenty of roaming space in an enclosed run, a coop, fresh water daily, organic feed and plenty of treats. I went out to collect eggs today and noticed one of my hens was not acting right. She was choking, falling over, unable to stand on her own. I checked her crop and throat as best I could, and didnt see anything that would block her airway. I tried to see if there was a gapeworm, but really didnt know what I was looking for. Her throat seemed clear. She was dead about an hour later. The only thing that has been odd with her and another of my cochins is that they are missing some feathers on their necks. I thought they were being picked on but I hadnt noticed any mean behavior from the other hens. The more I though about it I noticed the other hen with the missing feathers choking the other day, but she seems fine. Im concerned that I may end up loosing her too and am hoping someone has some advice. I use DE, but dont worm or use antibiotics as I live and eat organically and so do my chickens. Is there anything I can do or does anyone have any idea what this may be.

Thank you so much!
Jenn

I'm wondering where you live, I live in West Central Ill. and especially now since the flooding we are having an extreme problem with Buffalo Gnats. I lost an adult Lt. Brahma this morning due to the gnats. They bother their faces and can suffocate them. Sorry

I don't know what happened but I am so sorry for your hen.....
Hope you can find out what killed her.
JJ

Last edited:
Thanks for your concern. Its always a sad thing.

I am wondering should it be gapeworm what can I do? Any wormers? I heard flubenvet, but I dont know how to find that. Im really concerned for my other girls. Is gapeworm contagious??

I live in New Jersey, havent seen any gnats, but that is a horrible thing to have happen. Im sorry.

Oh and I forgot! She was coughing up some liquid, had quite abit of it coming from her mouth. Is that ever a symptom of gapeworm? Its so hard not knowing what to do...

Back
Top Bottom