Lost one of my flock

SusanCranford

Songster
5 Years
May 18, 2018
Dallas, TX
I have five girls, Peepers - Brahma, Mocha - Buff Bantam Brahma, Holler - Americana, Darcy - Copper Maran and Mardi Gras - Black Star. Mardi has been beating up on Darcy, so this morning after seeing several feathers plucked off of Darcy I pulled out one of my wire kennels, found a wonderful shady spot in the yard with good grass and lots of dew still on the ground. The dogs were in the house and she had everything she needed. I noticed the sun was starting to get over the kennel and she was laying down so went to check on her. She was dead. No feathers to suggest some kind of an attack. She wasn't in the sun long 20 minute tops? and it's very cool this morning (it was low 70s when i found her). This is my first flock and I have had them over a year without any losses or issues, but now I am feeling like I did something very wrong. I have put her in freezer after saying my goodbyes and apologies to her and have to figure out my next steps. I keep hearing my friend telling me that the reality of chickens is that sometimes they just die, its just part of having them.

Chickens are the tribbles of the earth: everything eats them. To survive as a species, chickens who could endanger the flock are “picked” on and sometimes killed.
I don’t know this for sure, but it could be that your flock recognized a “sick” behavior in Darcy. You pulled Darcy out before they could do any damage. She may have already been on her way out of this world. In any case, I don’t think you caused her death.

Thank you all. I have to say it hit me harder than I thought. But I do have to say that my flock does seem happier now that the Mardi is not bullying them. Darcy’s butt and neck feathers are even starting to grow back.

Back
Top Bottom