Lost one of my girls :-(

Littletonchicks

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 7, 2010
Sad news this morning. Lost one of my RIR last night. Thought i was doing so good making it eight weeks without losing one. The neighbor dog snuck over, my son heard some commotion down by the coop and ran down. One of my sexlinks was freaking out and jumped on the fence and back in the run. Then he heard splashing in the brook. Ran to the brook and saw the neighbor dog running home. Can't find one of my girls. I am assuming he got her. Sure wish I could find her. We searched till 11 last night and out again this morning and no sign of her. I was worried about fox, raccoons, etc and then I lose one to the neighbor dog.
sad.png

Very sorry to hear that. It's always distressing when you lose one....if you didn't see her in the dog's mouth, maybe she's just very fearful and hiding......

That is what I have been hoping but my DH and DS went out this morning and checked all around the area that DS saw the dog commotion and saw the dog run and they can find nothing. I am hoping she just wanders out of the woods on her own and shows up but I am afraid that if he did have her he may have dropped her in the brook and she went down stream. So sad when you lose your first one. I am just beside myself! And what I want to do with the neighbors dog....................well, its a good thing I am an animal lover and understand the instinct of labs!

You really need to have a talk with your neighbor, Do be polite about it obviously. Explain to him that there are laws protecting your flocks from nuisences and If he can't be responsible for his dog he needs to chain or coop it up. If the problem Continues you can try trapping the dog (If the dog proves to be a problem once they taste chicken blood its hard to break em of the habit.) or Dispatching of the dog. Make sure you do everything within the laws of your state. and try to come to an agreement before drastic measures are taking Dispatching a Problem animal is sometimes the path we have to take. I hope you two can come to a mutual agreement.

My DH has already said that he is going to speak to the neighbor. I told him last night that I am sure once that dog gets one he will be back for more. If the neighbor does not do something and he comes back again then I will take whatever measures I have to so I can protect my girls! I have two labs of my own and they do not bother the girls at all. Matter a fact, they are very protective of them. Usually if my black lab is out she runs off the neighbors dog. Unfortunately last night she was inside. We are going to keep her outside now whenever we have the girls our running around. Hopefully it does not prove to be a problem and I lose another one. Since I work for a lawyer, I plan to review the states law on "dog at large".

Check at the neighbor's house for your chicken. Sometimes Labs have a pretty soft mouth and just carry things around without killing them. My neighbor's friend brought his Lab over and it promptly grabbed one of his birds and took off down the alley. The chicken was found, unharmed, about a quarter of a mile away.

Well, she had a little PTSD.

Mary

Back
Top Bottom