Lost our ducks, need advice :(

BrandiDeer

In the Brooder
May 7, 2017
MT - Montana
My daughters, ages 4 and 6, had four free range Pekin ducks that they absolutely adored.

My neighbor's dog, unfortunately, wanted them more.

Two disappeared, we assumed were eaten. We found two alive, one so badly hurt that she had to be put down, and the other disappeared from our fenced yard a day or so later.

We'd really like to try again, but we don't want to do that until we know they'll be safe. How do you keep your ducks safe from predators without keeping them cooped up?

A good fence, maybe with electric wire on the outside (close to the ground) to prevent digging beneath the fence. And maybe more near the top in case of predators who try to climb or jump over. They should stay in a safe coop at night (ventilation, but no holes in the coop or weak spots for predators). It's good to take frequent walks around the outside of their fenced area so your scent wards away more cautious predators (areas frequented by people discourage some animals), while checking for weaknesses or areas where digging has occurred.

I would also recommend talking to your neighbour about not letting their dog loose. We lost one of our girls to a dog that people let run loose and it's a horrible feeling. Sorry these ducks were lost... :(

Back
Top Bottom