Lost our favorite hen - possibly the heat

We're in a similar quandry. Saturday we found a dead hen in the bottom of the hen house. Looked like she just went in and went to sleep. It was crazy hot that day. I assumed it was the heat but now yesterday we went in to find 3 dead hens in the hen house, all side by side. One seemed to have fluid coming from her head (beak / mouth). It wasn't the ridiculous heat that we've had so I'm wondering.... disease??? Poison???? (they do free range about 9 hours a day). The kids are scared to go check now for fear the rest will die soon. I have no idea where to start with this but I'm not thinking it's heat anymore. Anyone????????????????

Quote:
Recommend starting a thread on this and providing as much detail as you possibly can, to help folks help you figure out what's going on.
JJ

How sad. It sounds like she was trying to get to you, too, by going to your back door. She knew you would help her, unfortunately it was just a little too late.
hit.gif
I am so sorry for your loss. This heat is terrible.

hugs.gif

It's so true, it's always the favorites.

We've lost some to heat, some to predators, and some to unknown causes. It's never easy. Every time I think I have one problem solved another pops up - like a heat wave. I guess I've just learned to roll with the punches knowing I'm doing my best to keep them safe and healthy.

Back
Top Bottom