Lost our first chicken

LittleMissCountry

Crowing
6 Years
Mar 30, 2018
One of the dogs on our street broke into the run and killed my kids favorite buff orp. The other chickens ran out the hole he created and into the woods.

My kids are devastated. I knew it would happen sooner or later. Even a well made coop and run won't keep a 100 plus pound dog out if they are determined. The dog is usually behind a fence in their yard, and we had never seen it out before.

Bummer! :(
Might need some hot wire.
What was run made of?
Did the other birds come back?
Will owner of dog make 'good' on loss?

Run was hardware cloth. The dog barreled through it at a corner, breaking the post. It was a big dog. Even having the apron on the bottom didn't stop him. He broke it where it was nailed to the post.

We are not asking them to make good. We knew this could happen when we got chickens. The neighbors are really upset as well.

I am going to look into electric fencing. The coop and run are far enough from the house that we can't plug something in.

Aww, this is sad. I'm sorry about the chicken, sorry for you, sorry for the neighbor, but I'm REALLY sorry for your kids! We know they have to learn life's tough lessons, we're just never really ready when things like this happen and we have to help them deal with it unexpectedly. :hugs to them and hopefully your neighbor will be able to keep her dog home. Does solar-powered electric work at night, I wonder? Hmm....

That is sad. I'm so sorry your children had to go through this. And poor chicken. :hugs We're putting electric fencing around our coop too and we have run electricity 200' out to the coop, but I'm intrigued by the solar fencing. Solar would work at night. It charges during the day and stores the energy for use at night. Seems to me the challenge would be the gate. Wouldn't that be a vulnerable area?:caf

One of the dogs on our street broke into the run and killed my kids favorite buff orp. The other chickens ran out the hole he created and into the woods.

My kids are devastated. I knew it would happen sooner or later. Even a well made coop and run won't keep a 100 plus pound dog out if they are determined. The dog is usually behind a fence in their yard, and we had never seen it out before.
:hit Oh NO!
So Sorry.
Tell the owners to keep “Cujo” on their property. One dog acting like that? What the heck! :mad:
Makes me wonder what it’d do with screaming and running children. (out playing)
I wouldn’t trust It anywhere's near my property. Be careful :hugs

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom