Lost our first girl yesterday....

thomas_trevett

In the Brooder
Mar 9, 2020
Atlanta, GA
We lost one of our four girls yesterday to a hawk. They are four months old and have been free ranging without any predator protection for the majority of the time except at night, but mostly using the natural landscape as their protection (shrubs, trees, etc). We hadn't seen any hawks lingering overhead at all. They spent too much time near the house pooping on our porch, so I decided to pen them in with an electric fence to a specific part of the yard, but still gave them the protection of a large overhanging tree. Unfortunately a hawk must have spotted the brightest of them (our beautiful Buff Orpington named Chai, who was literally the sweetest of birds) and attacked. The other three hopped the fence and made it to safety but Chai unfortunately was not so lucky. We thought the others were gone as well, but found them cowering under a dense grove of bushes. Really sad.

It is always sad with predation.
If you build it they will come.
One rarely sees hawks till they strike. They swoop in fast, if they didn't they would be less successful getting their meals.
I don't think the color of a bird matters. They see any slight movement, just like chickens do.
Sorry for your loss. I know I've lost more than I care to remember. Free ranging comes with that threat.

We lost one of our four girls yesterday to a hawk. They are four months old and have been free ranging without any predator protection for the majority of the time except at night, but mostly using the natural landscape as their protection (shrubs, trees, etc). We hadn't seen any hawks lingering overhead at all. They spent too much time near the house pooping on our porch, so I decided to pen them in with an electric fence to a specific part of the yard, but still gave them the protection of a large overhanging tree. Unfortunately a hawk must have spotted the brightest of them (our beautiful Buff Orpington named Chai, who was literally the sweetest of birds) and attacked. The other three hopped the fence and made it to safety but Chai unfortunately was not so lucky. We thought the others were gone as well, but found them cowering under a dense grove of bushes. Really sad.

I'm so sorry. I always found that predators always went after my lightest colored birds first. I would build them a covered run. He will most likely come back.

Back
Top Bottom