Lost so many baby chicks!!!😭

I'm a new chick Mama. I just contacted the hatchery after I lost so many!!! I started with 56. I personally picked them up from the hatchery. My barred rocks and a few of my rhode island Reds got brooder fungus. Many had pasty butt. We cleaned everyday.
We clean the brooder entry 1 1/2 days, new food and water everyday. Water was usually changed Many times a day. Pine shavings bedding.
They were all together. I didn't realize how difficult it was to keep them. A few died off right away. Many died for no outward apparent reason. No pasty butt, no brooder fungus symptoms, no injury. They were running and during the day eating and drinking then they died. It's that normal???
We had me fluctuation off temp because they are near my woodstove. It isn't on all the time. We moved the heat lamp as needed to keep the temp per the age of chicks.
When I spoke to the hatchery, they didn't know the term brooder fungus, they were hugely opposed to using "magic" water(water, acv, garlic, Honey) I researched this as a treatment for illness as well as first day drink for baby chicks. The hatchery said the pasty butt is a symptom of Coccidiosis and I'm to give the chicks 1/4 cup of acv in a qt of water. The chicks had brooder pneumonia not brooder fungus.
Now, the chicks I have left also have splayed or injured legs. I don't know if they all do as I'm in bed with leg injury. My husband is taking care of the chicks. The hatchery recommended hobbling the legs with a cut straw and rubber band.
I just want to make sure of the advice as I've been given a lot of conflicting advice from different people.
I'm down to 11 chicks!!!!😭😭😭
None of the chicks died of pasty butt as we cleaned them gently. I fed water to a few till they drank on their own. I increased their probiotics.
I'm frustrated, sorrowful and am thinking of getting adult birds. I was so excited and am dejected. Any help is very much appreciated!!!
Oh my
So sorry!

I just wanted to validate that raising chicks is HARD.

We incubated 8 eggs, 4 hatched. I realized what I did wrong right at the end or many more would have hatched.

Then one chick died because of another preventable thing that someone on the internet (not this forum) had said would be fine. It wasn't. I took that chick's death the hardest. I will never forget that lesson.

We have three left. Two of them had splayed legs. Treating splayed legs was so hard for us the first day. We tried a few methods but the bandaid method worked best for us. Now that we know how to do it it's no big deal, but it was hours of stress and in one case days of a chick constantly getting the split off somehow, which meant it took a lot longer to correct.

Not to mention several instances of pasty butt.

The chick starter feed we got them is too big for them to eat, so we're contantly grinding it and it's a pain. They've accidentally run out of water (tipped it over) and we didn't notice for half the day. They've run out of food a couple times. They're only 2.5 weeks old and they are HARD to keep alive, though it's now getting easier as they get older.

It's normal to make a lot of mistakes in the beginning no matter how hard you try to do the very best for them. And it's heartbreaking and it really sucks. I'm so sorry you're experiencing that. But you did the right thing coming here, you're getting a lot of great answers and it can only improve from this point onwards. Please keep us updated!
I know that chicks have hi mortality rate... i raised 26 meat chickens only lost 4...butchered 22... my hens 'bator experience...first time, 3 out of 5 hatched, then 2 out of 7 but they hatched on day 17...humidity was wayyy too hi, they were all preemies... then i got 1 out of 10
Then 6 out of 12 but lost 5 of the 6! Not giving up...got 7 in bator now
🤞🐣🩷

Back
Top Bottom