Lost tail feathers(new chicken)

Buttnugget1

In the Brooder
Aug 31, 2021
Hello all and glad to be in the community, lots of good info here. Thanks for that.

So I had a hen get taken by a raccoon a few days back and decided to get a couple from a local person selling them, they were moving.

but it’s vent area and tail feathers are very sparse and quite bare.
I looked for mites and couldn’t see anything but I’m also new to chickens and unsure what I’m looking for? Going to quarantine them until I know!
what could it be… pictures attached
Thanks all!

Attachments

• 7F57AE2D-0A8D-4939-85EF-EEB97871A12E.jpeg
    7F57AE2D-0A8D-4939-85EF-EEB97871A12E.jpeg
    631 KB · Views: 7
  • 2045B612-DCD4-4F87-A688-27A1DEADBE98.jpeg
    2045B612-DCD4-4F87-A688-27A1DEADBE98.jpeg
    345.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 349E06C7-1AD5-4921-8061-F9E7B1313D1F.jpeg
    349E06C7-1AD5-4921-8061-F9E7B1313D1F.jpeg
    500.5 KB · Views: 4
Get some food grade diatomaceous earth put a bit around the outside of the coop and run. You could put some in the bedding (just do so carefully as it can irritate respiratory system if you go crazy). I have an area that my chicks love to roll and get their dirt on so I put DE there and kind of hand roll it into the loose dirt so they can go in and coat themselves with it when they do their thing. You could dip your hands in it and rub it under her feathers (like you are doing a gentle skin massage) to help if it is a bug. It looks pretty bare to be a molt. Does she seem irritated by it? She could have been neglected a bit potentially. You don't know what circumstances she's coming from but you know what kind of life she will have now. If it's a neglect issue it will regrow and not be an issue.

Get some food grade diatomaceous earth put a bit around the outside of the coop and run. You could put some in the bedding (just do so carefully as it can irritate respiratory system if you go crazy). I have an area that my chicks love to roll and get their dirt on so I put DE there and kind of hand roll it into the loose dirt so they can go in and coat themselves with it when they do their thing. You could dip your hands in it and rub it under her feathers (like you are doing a gentle skin massage) to help if it is a bug. It looks pretty bare to be a molt. Does she seem irritated by it? She could have been neglected a bit potentially. You don't know what circumstances she's coming from but you know what kind of life she will have now. If it's a neglect issue it will regrow and not be an issue.
Ok thanks for the reply like I said I have a separate coop these two are in for now. I’ll give the the DE treatment. And hopefully they are clear soon. How long should I keep them separate do you think?
It doesn’t seem annoyed but I just got them today.
Thanks again.
My chickens are treated like royalty around here so hopefully they fit in just fine, soon!

Personally if you treat them all you don't even have to separate especially if they all get along. Birds are so sensitive and like company. DE will not hurt the others so if they've already met and got along just treat them all in one big go. If you still haven't had free range give it a few days and test them together (supervise) and if they meld like peas in a pod you'll be good to go if not keep them separate but let them see each other. If there is minor squabbles it's ok all chickens assert there place but as long as it resolves quick and with no blood or large violence it will be fine. Just like dogs hens have their own pecking order and from my experience if you have mellow going in they will either assimilate or get picked on. Two top hens meeting is when it can get more violent. Don't assume the worse though just know it's always possible. I just shrug and move on with the grown hens I dealt with. They get over things faster than I did for awhile. There is a chance that she's having a very very ugly molt too. Quaranting is always a good idea though to check poops and assess health. Her size looks good so she wasn't starved. I tend to spoil anything that may be hurt. I had a duck that had a toenail get caught (found the offending spot from when my spouse put the run together and quickly fixed it) it bled for a short time and it got a garden hose shower and hand dug up worms. I mean it could end up a dinner duck but still everything deserves love and care. You can mix the DE in the feed and it will help with internal worms as well (if that's a concern), if you want to get real technical you could eat it to worm yourself too. It's great all purpose it needs reapplied if you use it outside your house for ants but it's safe for kids and pets. It can dry skin if you use bare hands (I habitually just grab handfuls and dust it) if you have dry skin already may use a glove or a thicker lotion after. Won't hurt you any to touch or taste.. lol

Back
Top Bottom