Lots of feathers in one nesting box.....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ladybug99, Mar 12, 2011.

1. ladybug99

ladybug99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    I just went out to feed the girls and collect the eggs and I found one of the nesting boxes fully lined with tiny little feathers. It had an egg in it but I took it out. I have read that this may be a sign one of my girls may be going broody....they are only 8 months old is this possible?? Some of my ladies aren't even laying yet. One of the girls is very vocal all of a sudden as well she follows me everywhere I go...I thought she might be being overly friendly just to get some treats from my pocket. I also have been finding some jumbo piles of poo here and there.. but no one is sitting on the nest....I would love some baby chicks....[​IMG]

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Sounds like a possibility. Look for brood patches on the hens' undersides. They'll just be bare patches of skin caused by a hen plucking her own feathers to line a nest. Good luck.

3. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Some hens will do that. I have two that will do that every time I put in new straw for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by