lots of feathers....

amydzek

Chirping
9 Years
Oct 27, 2010
ok so here is all our issues right now... we just moved and our girls coop did not make it though the move, so my poor hens are in their run right now, we have added a make shift roof for now until (hopefully next weekend) we can afford to but more lumber to make them a new home.. my question is.... since we have moved and everything is out of whack is it normal for their laying to be all out of whack as well???

oh and the lots of feathers part of it... my plymouth whites are (for lack of a better word) shedding their feathers... I cant see anyone being mean, and I cant see any bald spots on my 2 white hens but there are ALOT of feathers on the ground... could it be stress?? or do chickens do this? we do live in Fl and it is very hot...

If it looks like someone had a pillow fight in your yard either:

a) one of the girls was someones dinner; or
b) they're molting

If everyone's accounted for I'd say option B is most plausible (especially this time of year). Put them on a higher protein food to help them regrow their new feathers faster and they'll be back to laying normally in a month or so
smile.png

Last edited:
yes I know that birds molt... and yes I understand that chickens are birds... but they are different....

Quote:
Hi Amy - Not sure what you mean......

...but in any case, during molting really good nutrition can help them through - including extra protein to help with growing new feathers....

JJ

Back
Top Bottom