lots of feathers....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by amydzek, Sep 23, 2011.

1. amydzek

amydzek Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    ok so here is all our issues right now... we just moved and our girls coop did not make it though the move, so my poor hens are in their run right now, we have added a make shift roof for now until (hopefully next weekend) we can afford to but more lumber to make them a new home.. my question is.... since we have moved and everything is out of whack is it normal for their laying to be all out of whack as well???

2. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    I would think so. Give them a few weeks to get used to the move.

3. amydzek

Oct 27, 2010
    oh and the lots of feathers part of it... my plymouth whites are (for lack of a better word) shedding their feathers... I cant see anyone being mean, and I cant see any bald spots on my 2 white hens but there are ALOT of feathers on the ground... could it be stress?? or do chickens do this? we do live in Fl and it is very hot...

4. amydzek

Oct 27, 2010
    Quote:Thanks Clairabean!!

5. Bravo

Bravo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    CA
    If it looks like someone had a pillow fight in your yard either:

a) one of the girls was someones dinner; or
    b) they're molting

If everyone's accounted for I'd say option B is most plausible (especially this time of year). Put them on a higher protein food to help them regrow their new feathers faster and they'll be back to laying normally in a month or so [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  6. amydzek

Oct 27, 2010
    they molt??!!! ok more protein it is! thanks so much!!!!!

7. amydzek

Oct 27, 2010
    yes I know that birds molt... and yes I understand that chickens are birds... but they are different....

8. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Quote:Hi Amy - Not sure what you mean......

...but in any case, during molting really good nutrition can help them through - including extra protein to help with growing new feathers....

JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by