Lots of pips, no hatching

williamsl77

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 15, 2011
Northeast
Day #21, I've had 5/9 eggs pip today, but no zipping or hatching. I kept humidity low on this set of eggs during incubation, trying out dry incubation. Have kept humidity around 20-30% for days 1-19. For lockdown, have kept humidity around 65%. These eggs have been pipped since this morning. Have not opened lid. My last hatch, the first one to pip was shrink wrapped by the next morning (although still alive, I helped it, and now it's a good looking little chick).

Just wondering if I should be worried about this. I know it can take a while to pip, zip and hatch.

henney penny

Songster
10 Years
Nov 21, 2009
Northern Maine
I`ve got one hatching it has been trying since 9am this morning,I uped my humidity to 75% by putting in wet warm sponges.Hpe the little guy hatches soon.

henney penny

Songster
10 Years
Nov 21, 2009
Northern Maine
44824_finally_out.jpg
It had been 24 hrs so I helped it by chiping away some of the shell and it was shrink wraped,I don`t like doing that but it would not have been able to hatch it I had not.

sheboyganjohn

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 4, 2012
Sheboygan, WI
From my limited experience I have found that the lower the humidity at hatch, the harder the chicks have getting out of the shell. Try taking the humidity up a bit more at the end. I use a turn-x incubator and nearly fill the whole bottom with water on hatch day.

williamsl77

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 15, 2011
Northeast
Five of nine hatched. Three of the others never pipped but they looked like term chicks. One was breech. Why might term chicks not pip? I did not do a thorough eggtopsy. I should have but I was a little too exhausted. I kept day 1-18 humidity around 20-30%, lockdown humidity starting at 65%.

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom