Lots of progress on coop and run (new pics)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by fiddlebanshee, Sep 10, 2011.

1. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    So since last time I posted we have put on the roof (ondura panels) hardware cloth on the back half of the roof, all the walls. The only part that still needs predator proofing is around the coop that is not in the run and on top of the coop roof to the ondura roof. Everything is covered with 1/2 inch hwc.

We have cut out 4 holes for egg collection, this will get two doors that'll swing down (hinged at the bottom). We've put in two narrow windows that I got at restore. We cut a hole for the popdoor. I've put in a vinyl remnant on the floor, and I am going to cover the walls in tileboard for easy cleaning. Tomorrow we will work on the door to the run, running electricity to the coop and making sure the whole construction is not moving and deciding if we need more bracing. If I have time I will install the eggdoors and the popdoor.

We're making great progress, just 10 more days before the peeps arrive!

Here's some pictures:

It was getting a bit dark but here's an overview picture with the two new windows:

[​IMG]

The eggcollection doors

[​IMG]

Hardware cloth everywhere.

[​IMG]

and more hardware cloth

[​IMG]

Popdoor. The window that is beside it I had made for something else, but is exactly the right size. I think I'll use this as a door for now.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  2. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    OMG thats huge!!!!! [​IMG]

IM SO JEALOUS!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. MoonAngel12

MoonAngel12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Central NC
    Wow! Impressive!

You must have a small fortune invested in hardware cloth - holy smokes!!

4. Keltara

Keltara Chillin' With My Peeps

5. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    You must have a small fortune invested in hardware cloth - holy smokes!!

Aint that the truth. I can't see the stuff anymore. My hands are galvanized by now. I was thinking of investing heavily in one of the companies that make the stuff.

But... We have all possible predators. Black bear, bobcat, mountain lion, fox, raccoon, possum, hawk, owl, weasels and probably some more that I don't know about. So I thought it made no sense doing a half-hearted job and loose my chickens all in the first month. In this 20x32 ft run I'm comfortable letting them roam and even leave the popdoor open 24/7 if it is not too cold outside.​

6. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    I lock my chickens up in their runs at night and knock on wood, so far no issues with night time prowling animals, day time, I have had issues with a fox, a hawk and the neighborhood dogs.

Your coop and run looks really good!

Caroline [​IMG]

7. rpchris

rpchris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    Saint Louis, MO
    That's larger than my entire backyard. WOW!

8. HighNDryFarm

HighNDryFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    Quote:Holy Hardware Cloth! I have hardware cloth envy! But you'll sleep at night, knowing they're safe. Great job!

9. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    very nice project you have going there [​IMG]

10. brahmapapa

brahmapapa Chillin' With My Peeps

Just make sure that the hardware cloth is trenched about two feet into the ground and flared out, all around the perimeter, i just lost a dozen beautiful pullets because either a fox or coyote tunneled under my perimeter fencing, such a sad loss. When you refill the trench, pack the soil very well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by