LOTS! of questions!!! i need help!

Ms~Silkie~Girl

Songster
10 Years
Feb 7, 2009
New York STATE
I am new to chikens and have never raised them before, i am getting chickens in early march and need to know some things about them, thanks for your help

~Trista~

What are some deseases that chickens get and how can you treat and prevent them?

What age is good to start giving your chickens table scraps?

What plants are deadly to chickens? (i want to have a garden right near their coop to make it look pretty but i don't know what is posinous to them)

Can i clip my chickens wings myself? (i am reading books and looking up how to do it)

How do you groom a chicken? (is there special shampoo or something, or a certain way to do it?)

I need a name for my chicken farm
~I live on a hill
~My road is called rolling hills road
~I am getting 5 speckled sussexs, 5 black stars, 5 white rocks, 5 buff orpingtons, and 5 new hampshire reds
~ I have a yellow lab
~i am going to be selling eggs (brown eggs)
~We have lots of trees in our yard
~We have lots of gardens (and more to come)
~We have big rocks around our yard, & in our garden
~i plan to eventually expand to sheep and goats and make my way up to bigger animals (hopefully)
~our coop is blueish grey, but eventually be painted red and white
~I have woods in my backyard and accros the road, and all over
thats all i can think of for now

Thanks for all your help
~Trista~

Last edited by a moderator:
First off welcome to the forum.

Those are all really wonderful questions.

But if you read through the different sections all of those questions plus ones you didnt even think of will be answered for you.

Again Welcome I hope you enjoy your time here.

You need Coop X, Trista!!

big_smile.png
big_smile.png
frow.gif

Steve

Cooperative EXtension Libraries and Resources across America

Last edited:
yep, here is your answer, https://www.backyardchickens.com/lcenter.html you've got too many broad based questions to answer properly, so re-ask more specific ones when you've read some of the stuff in the "Learning Center". No one is trying to be mean, but there's just too much territory to cover in one thread, that's why the Learning Center is so valuable!

Oh, one thing I will say, you don't really groom them, not with water, just give them a place to take their own dust bath at home. I honestly have NO idea about show birds, other than the county and state fairs, I haven't seen show birds.

As for a name for your farm, first thing I thought of was Rocky Trail Farm, but I'll think a little more about it.
cool.png

Welcome to BYC.

You need to use the search feature and browse the learning center as well as the different forums here to get the answers you are looking for.

It would take an entire book to cover the answers you questions deserve for a proper answer.

Please make yourself at home, grab a cup of coffee/tea/soda and spend some time here and you'll find plenty of information that you need.

1.) I have a yellow lab --- it's a good idea to have a dog...just be careful...try to keep the dog on a leash, until it gets used to the chickens, unless the dog is calm...later, if you notice your dog eating the poo...as long as you worm the flock and worm your dog...things should be fine...(I have a German Shephard and a Jack Russell, they are both awesome with the birds)

2.) I am going to be selling eggs (brown eggs) --- great, make sure you collect regularly...no one wants to buy dirty or stained eggs

3.) We have lots of trees in our yard --- great, my birds have about 75% shade and 25% sunlight... they need shade

4.) Yes, you can clip the birds wings yourself, just be careful not to cut to much, but you'll get the hang of it

5.) We have lots of gardens --- great, your birds will appreciate the greens and tomatos you will be feeding to them from your garden

6.) How do you groom a chicken? --- are you planning on showing or what is the real base for this question?

7.) How big is the coop? and are you planning to free-range?

8.) Just like diseases, there are many poisones plants that could effect or kill your birds...but if you feed them right...you should have to worry about that...instead of asking about diseases...start another thread and ask some of us...What do I need or How do I medicate baby chicks?

an ounce of prevention, is.....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/lcenter.html

I am not going to show my chicken, as far as i know. I was just wondering because some people show pictures on their website with them washing their chickens in their sink, so i didnt know if i had to do that.

Also i read everything in the learning center and i wanted to know some of your opinions.

also we are free ranging our chickens. Our coop is our old shed, and it's pretty big (for a chicken coop), it's like 12ft by 15ft something like that

Thanks for your help, if you gave me a website or your opinions (not to be mean, that's just what i was looking for).

Last edited by a moderator:
welcome-byc.gif
I am addressing the garden part of your questions. I have many gardens. Originally I let my birds roam where ever they wanted on my property. Now they are confined to a section which is fenced. I did this because they were tearing up my gardens and compost piles. I had to replant several times as they would scratch everything up and rake my compost piles back into piles. I do give them stuff from the gardens. They love it. There are pictures on my BYC Page.
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif
love.gif
caf.gif

Back
Top Bottom