Lots of rain, slightly damp hemp inside coop

SamIamNam786

Songster
Aug 10, 2023
Central NJ
Dear all,
It’s been raining nonstop in nj for a few days. The first day I noticed some wetness in the hemp by the door, turns out it was the rainwater coming in at an angle through an open windows on top. I fixed it by applying plastic over most and leaving 1” open still at the top.
Today I noticed that one of the nest boxes has damp hemp. Im not sure if there’sa leak or if it’s the rain hitting at an angle again.
I have a very thin layer of hemp and the first day dampness by the door dried up by the next day. I’m hoping this does the same. Question: How long can my hemp stay damp before it’s an issue. Btw my chicks aren’t yet using the nesting boxes (2 months old ), so I’m thinking to clear the hemp from it and toss it into the floor area once it dries.

Yes if the chicks are to young to lay but old enough to roost, I would clear the bedding in the nest box to start with. Bedding in the nestboxes can wait until they are about 15 weeks old.

I use sand on the coop floor. I have one spot were water comes in with heavy rain. But its too difficult to fix. If the sand gets wet, the water simply goes in the ground. But coops often have flooring and you need to fix the leak if water comes.

IMhO it’s not a good idea to block the ventilation. Chicks/chickens produce moist air too and the smell (damp) of feces has to find a way out. Can you make a larger overhang at the point where the rain comes in?

How much ventilation do you have? And on which sides/heights? You need an aerflow in the coop. Pictures?

I have one area on my run (it's covered and I use deep litter in there) where rain blows in sometimes if there's a lot of wind and I use one of those big cheap porch blinds, I have it hanging on the side and keep it up most of the time but if we're expecting rain I can put it down. It doesn't keep all of the rain out if it's blowing a lot but it blocks 95% of it. It still allows for air flow and good ventilation. Then I just keep turning and stirring the bedding to get it to dry out, sometimes put a fan on in there too.

Yes if the chicks are to young to lay but old enough to roost, I would clear the bedding in the nest box to start with. Bedding in the nestboxes can wait until they are about 15 weeks old.

I use sand on the coop floor. I have one spot were water comes in with heavy rain. But its too difficult to fix. If the sand gets wet, the water simply goes in the ground. But coops often have flooring and you need to fix the leak if water comes.

IMhO it’s not a good idea to block the ventilation. Chicks/chickens produce moist air too and the smell (damp) of feces has to find a way out. Can you make a larger overhang at the point where the rain comes in?

How much ventilation do you have? And on which sides/heights? You need an aerflow in the coop. Pictures?
I have these two types of windows on both sides. I attempted an overhang but maybe it wasn't enough. I ended up covering the large windows with plastic but left an inch open. Those large windows originally came with plastic only. We took it off and replaced with hardware cloth. I think I need to add a hinged door somehow. That shape makes it hard to work with.

Attachments

• IMG_5578.jpeg
    IMG_5578.jpeg
    700.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5583.jpeg
    IMG_5583.jpeg
    994.4 KB · Views: 7
As Aart says : a larger roof is a good idea. Also because the material of the current roof probably lasts only a few years.

My roof lasted about only 3-4 years. I used a plastic sheet and WRC (leftover from building a barn and blackened with a natural fungi-preservative) to cover and enlarge the leaking roof. On top of the nestbox I covered the hinges with epdm.

There are many other solutions to enhance the roof. Maybe you can buy some secondhand materials if you like to keep it low budget or ask handy builder/ carpenters for a solution If you know someone. Or tag a few builders on BYC who visit the site regularly.

IMG_3393.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom