lots of talk about hens crowing

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by centrarchid, Jun 13, 2011.

1. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    It is evident many folks are observing hens crow. I now think many of my hens do so as well and it may serve some purpose. The utterances I have been hearing are not proper crows of a rooster but rather greatly shortened and slightly higher pitch versions performed with wing flapping. Hens doing are either off incubation duty foraging or have chicks following them about. At first I thought it was a form of stretching but it is too loud. I am beginning to think it is a method of contacting balance of flock hen normally associates with indicating her presence and location. Such behavior may help preserve a hens rank within the flock so that when she returns fighting over rank not needed.

My American games and red jungle fowl hens all do this. I will have a dominique hen brood some chicks to see if she does same.

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    interesting...could be....my "pullet" has turned out to be a roo...all 3 have a choking sore throat sound to the crow right now. My 9 roos I had last year, all had wonderful crows, as I would crow back they would stop in their tracks! But I like your idea....we all know it's true, its a chickens way to confuse us poor humans a bit more!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by