Lots of white banded eggs and a slow crop

NatureGirl74

Songster
Jul 23, 2020
My 1 1/2 year old red sex link has laid a lot of white banded eggs. It started in the summer and I thought she was laying them because of the heat. She doesn't do as well in the heat. When the weather started cooling off she started laying normal eggs again. She has laid several thin shelled eggs too. She's not laying as often as she used to, but she's supposed to be molting. Now she's laying a white banded egg once in a while. She also lays eggs on the roost or outside sometimes. When it's hot she gets lethargic and pale so I give them ice blocks to cool off. Her crop is also kind of slow. It doesn't feel impacted. It's a little less than halfway full. Her crop has been like that off and on this summer. It does empty after about 1-2 hours with massages. Yesterday they free-ranged in the garden all day so she might have eaten too much. 2 other hens have crops that still have some food in them this morning. I think they were happy to see grass and ate too much of it. They're acting normal. One lays almost everyday and the other is molting so she doesn't lay as often. I'm worried the original hen has a reproductive problem. She acts normal. I set up a dog kennel in the run so those 3 can still see the others. They have water and no food. They are on 18% All Flock crumbles with oyster shells in a separate feeder.

Last edited:
Her crop is almost completely empty now. Does anyone know why she lays so many white banded eggs? Is it normal or is something wrong?

I let her out last night. She laid this egg early this morning on top of the dog crate I set up. She lays anywhere except a nesting box. The colors didn't show up great. Half of the egg is white with a brown ring and half of it is brown. Now about every other egg is like this. Is the slow crop fine or is that a problem?
For some it may be normal.
Post pics of banded eggs.
20210926_081134.jpg
20210926_081145.jpg

Back
Top Bottom