Loud Chicken

Sorry @Mellowmalt. I did not intend to offend. I think you missed my point, albeit subtle. I haven't lived in the UK for more than 3 months at a time but it is not uncommon for people here in the US to bully neighbors into complying with their egocentric whims. Here we chicken keepers, for the most part, try to abide by the laws and regulations that provide legal guidelines for our daily activities regarding our poultry. Sometimes we all have experienced the not so nice neighbor that regardless of our attempts to be nice seem to find fault with small stuff, like noisy chickens. My analogy between free range cats and barking dogs was only meant as an example of common everyday "neighborhood" issues that we just accept that it is annoying but dogs will be dogs, and cats will be cats. Just the same as chickens will be chickens.

? Mellowmalt, I think that's kind of harsh toward WeeFarmerSarah... she asked for clarification of my situation. She doesn't know the circumstances. I agree with you that letter-of-the-law notwithstanding, it's important to try not to gratuitously infuriate neighbors: the birds *are* loud. But it was helpful to me to hear WeeSarah's perspective too. I do probably need to chill a bit about trying to keep everyone happy all the time. But I don't think leaping to "who cares if a few million people die"... is a legitimate stretch here. She's just trying to comprehend why I'm on such a hair-trigger for noise. (As it happens, the NoisyNeighbor *is* correct by the letter of the law, which I didn't know until he showed it to me: his bedroom is probably within 25 feet of their coop. His bedroom is also illegally located. But it's been there for a long time, and, ya know, ... life's complicated - also this conversation is helping me to realize that I really ought to plan to move their coop as I plan to renovate it, so both you, WeeSarah, CrankyNeighbor and NoisyChickens might come out ahead, maybe?) (I legitimately had no idea I was breaking the law in the placement of the coop, I only knew that the birds were allowed (it was a big deal politically), not the qualifications).

Back to the original posters question about the noisy bird. Cull that bird, she is destroying your enjoyment of the flock because your are worried. No matter what anyone says here, you are living there, and do not like the problem. Chickens are often times not forever friends, some work out in a flock and some don't.

Put it up for sale, a laying hen will get snapped up. Who ever buys it, might even have a trade. Always solve for peace in the flock, your peace too.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom