Loud chickens!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cmclean, Jan 18, 2012.

1. cmclean

cmclean Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2011
    Pasadena,TX
    I didn't expect my 6 month old Buff Orpinton hens to be so LOUD!!!! They almost sound like a peacock sometimes. They shout out their displeasure when they are not let out into the yard to roam around. Does anyone else have loud hens? Is this normal or are mine just spoiled???!!!!![​IMG]

2. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    My Orps have a really deep sounding noise; well, compared to the bantams [​IMG] I am noticing as the days get longer, the noisier they become.

I like chicken noises [​IMG]

3. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

My Jersey Giants are pretty dang loud. Our coop is under our deck and if they hear me go out they scream and scream to be let out of the run. I find it odd that altho I spoil the dickens out of my birds some act like I torture them!

I used to have a Polish that was so loud you could hear her from 50 meters as if she were at yer shoulder.

When a girl want to roam she makes it loud and clear!

4. humpbacks1962

humpbacks1962 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2007
    Middletown, CT
    My orpies are very quiet. I didn't even know when two of them started laying by the cackling!
    They still cackle but very briefly, and not that loudly.

I had some Black Stars that made me fear for getting kicked out of the neighborhood each time one laid an egg! [​IMG]

5. ceeceeholt

ceeceeholt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    Alabama
    One of my Orps just started laying, we call her Bee, but now call her Bawk Bawk! When she lays, she first sits in the nest head first and bawks until she is done, She is funny! But, talk about loud, buy some Leghorn, indeed should be called FOGHORNS!! Louder then my Roo's![​IMG]

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Chickens are creatures of habit. If you let them out at a certain time everyday they go bonkers if you don't let them out. Well, mine do.

7. nashvillechick

nashvillechick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    I've got one hen who squawks loudly and non-stop whenever she sees me. She wants to be let out to run around the yard. I do let them out once or twice a day, but generally just for 30 to 60 minutes, since I have to watch them---very urban area... She's got to be bothering the neighbors, as she's getting on MY nerves! She's the sweetest of my hens and I love her, but her noise level is getting out of hand. It has nothing to do with laying---she's just demanding.

8. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    My speckled Sussex aren't too bad. They rather mutter under their breath. I get some bawking after an egg, not too loud or long.
    But they are constantly talking amongst themselves....I think they are gossiping!

9. K-9Dog

K-9Dog Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2012
    My RIR's are very loud! I just hope this is not going to be an issue for a variety of reasons... (illegal to have them where i live)

:)

10. thedixfam

thedixfam New Egg

Nov 26, 2013
    California
    I'm just curious if you were able to come to any resolution with this? Our Black Australorps are very similar to this. They have a good size run for the 3 of them, and we don't let them out every day, but they're extremely vocal when they're not roaming the yard. Same situation with the urban locale. Any advice is appreciated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by