Loud Duck acting different. Is she laying?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Halkybod, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Halkybod

Halkybod In the Brooder

Jul 25, 2014
    Hi,

One of my ducks has been making a lot of noise in the last few days and acting a bit different. She looks to be in some discomfort and I was wondering if this could be due to the fact that she is about to start laying. Does this sound correct?
    Either she is in discomfort or she is just acting up.

I would like to get a nesting box set up. Can anyone advise me on what I should do?
    I was thinking of just getting a basic wooden box and lining it with straw. Is this sufficient an how will they know to use it?

2. RachelleM1986

RachelleM1986 In the Brooder

May 28, 2014
    Stagecoach, NV
    How old is your girl? Have you checked her over for any wounds, mites, ticks, etc?

As far as nests go, my ducks don't even use one lol... I tried building nesting areas, where there are 2 walls on the sides and a roof of sorts, but they kinda laughed at that; then I tried simply laying straw on the ground and they ended up snacking on it lol. They just lay wherever they want, little prissies :)

3. lina500

lina500 Chirping

Apr 7, 2014
    Cambodia
    I'll answer for the OP! She is about 3.5 months old. She is being really loud, much louder than our other female (who is already pretty loud). I don't think anything is actually wrong with her, she's just a little jerk.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

female ducks are just loud period some more so than others. If your sure nothing is going on with her physically and nothing external is bothering her like maybe a predator near by then it's just her. 3.5 months is a little early to start laying but you can get them use to their coop/house by giving them some nice soft bedding to lay in and when they do begin to lay eggs they will most likely use what you have provided. you can also lay a board up against a wall inside their house that they can use to lay under so they have a bit of privacy when they begin laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by