Loud Duck Help

Ty_Duck

In the Brooder
Apr 3, 2020
Hi folks, we have two 3 month old Khaki's and about a week ago one of ours has started quacking really loud and early in the morning, today was the earliest at 6am. Waaaah-wah-wah-wah-wah! She will settle down if we go outside and/or take her out of her pen but really trying to not train her to cry and get what she wants - easier said than done when it's so early in the morning and we worry about waking our neighbors. These are our first ducks and we're learning on the fly, curious if this is normal or just a phase, it seemed to come out of nowhere? Any tips?

Here's a pic of our lil' ladies for your troubles.
IMG_20200602_153855.jpg

Thank you!

Do you have a coop that you can pen her in that might muffle her quacking ? As it is now, she knows that if she complains you will appear to bring her food and provide company.

This is their pen, they have a little duck house within it that they sleep in during the night but as of right now the pen is pretty open to loud quacks. If it keeps up we might have to keep them shut in their duck house at night but would obviously prefer not to. Maybe putting some landscaping around the perimeter of the pen will quiet her down?

IMG_20200515_153545.jpg

@Ty_Duck where are you located? Just wondering if you enclosed the bottom half of your beautiful pen with wood that may help some with noise?
Hi Miss Lydia, we're located in Oregon. Enclosing more of the pen has definitely been on our minds, would prefer not to as they love to peer out and it helps keep the pen breezy and not stinky but they might force our hand on that one...

Hi there - we have KC's and one of ours does the shouty wa-waaas when she is preparing to lay. Appreciate there's not much to be done if its the same for yours - I would say that a bit like traffic noise, you kind of stop hearing it after a bit. Perhaps some free eggs to the neighbours might ease the transition.......?

I was thinking that may be a reason, she's still a bit young but well on her way to laying. Thanks for the insight. I think the free eggs to the neighbors is a great idea!

I was thinking that may be a reason, she's still a bit young but well on her way to laying. Thanks for the insight. I think the free eggs to the neighbors is a great idea!
Loving your duck pen btw ! Also your KC's are beautiful - but tbf, i've yet to see an ugly duck (although we do have a wonky one in the brooder....).

Also, with your neighbours, perhaps engineer a visit between them and the duckys. Its harder to be miffed at a cute duck once you've met.

Good luck !

Back
Top Bottom