LOUD Egg Song - Stealth Chicken Breed ?

MTopPA_18707

Songster
9 Years
Dec 18, 2010
Mountain Top, PA (NEPA)
Hi Guys,

We have 3 Buff Orpingtons and 3 Black Australorps. [All hens - no roosters.]

They sing a wicked loud egg song . . . once one starts others join . . . it gets really loud.

[I'm concerned about disturbing neighbors and 'unknown' zoning reg's.
I'd prefer to keep a low profile . . . if you know what I mean.]

I 'think' the Buff Orps are the loud ones . . . but am not sure.

Does anyone know which breed has the louder egg song, Buff Orps or BlackAO's ?

Thank you,

Kevin & Kids

PS:> If there is another breed that is super quite please let me know.

Last edited:
i have only have two Buff orps and 2 warrens and i can say that only oneis loud and its aBuff orp she has always been the loud one screetching when its egg time and them chagingthe other chickensafterwards!

all chickens are differenct asmy other buff orp goes in and out ofthenest boxno problem withno noise i guess its just potluck onnoise

i will say that me neighbours love it all including the noise so fingers crossed that your do too

My black stars are SUPER loud! I have a red star that's super quiet, and my white leghorn is kinda medium loud. I got two more chickens yesterday- an EE and a silver laced wyandotte, and so far they haven't made a peep! Well, maybe a few peeps when they're on my lap begging for treats. But that's much better than a noisy egg song :)

Honestly it really depends on individual bird and strain.

If you want to try others though, I find Easter Eggers often aren't as loud, same with true Ameraucanas if you can find real ones in your area (and pick out the false EE sellers) but beyond that, the only truly quiet I've known are Oriental Gamefowl (never made a song for me) but they're not a beginner's breed.

i dont know too much on ifits only a dominent but i can say wilma is my dominent and since mr rooster hasgoneto a newhomeshe has gained her top sopt back and taught everyone the egg song, at first it was jsut the two buffs and only wilma sung thenthe rooster and the warrens came who never made a nouise until mr rooster went and wilma taught them - my mum came donw to the girlsinthe dinning room going in a circle following each other singing the egg song in time after wilma sang her bit !!!!

i wish i was there to tape it

Back
Top Bottom