Loud Laying Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Enchanted Sunrise Farms, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i remember a post where someone was complaining about how loud their chickens were and they may need to be re-homed if they could not quiet them down. They asked how loud everyone else's chickens were. i posted that mine were so quiet that no one even knew we had chickens. And then . . . . . . . Penny started laying.

She's not making noise right when she lays, just for hours before and after. Oh, and also at 6:30am when she wants me to let her out of the coop. She starts by making a gravely kaaaa kaaaaaa kaaaaaaa noise, gradually increasing in volume and intensity. If that doesn't get my attention, she goes full blown into Bok, Bok, Bok, Bok, Bo-KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! i've tried ignoring her, but she will keep going until i run out there give her what she wants.

My husband and i are going on a 3 day vacation end of November, and now i'm envisioning her out there yelling for three days straight and us coming back to our neighbors organized into a lynch mob. So i guess i'm asking the question now. Is this normal behavior for a hen who has just started laying? Is this going to continue for all her natural born days? Are all my quiet little silkie pullets going to turn into raging loud obnoxious hens when they start laying, too?

(Just had to run back outside again as Penny was doing the loud Bo-KAAAAAAAAA thing. She was standing on top of the hutch to get more distance and projection.)

*help*

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Your post was so funny I printed it and showed it to my co-worker. My DH will read it this evening.

Our neighbors are very nice, and after a "hawk overhead" session of BOGAWWWWKING, I called and apologized. I was hoping they would say, oh we never noticed. But they said, oh, well, we don't mind...

My girls will start laying in a few weeks. Hope they aren't Penny wannabes!

3. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Your post was hilarious! And boy, can we relate. Our chickens are ALL noisy...except our two silkies. Fortunately for us, our neighbors love em, and tell us so all the time!

4. homecatmom

homecatmom Chillin' With My Peeps

I remember that it wasn't so long ago that you posted about how quiet your girls were. Now I'm getting scared myself! Mine are so quiet that sometimes I go out just to make sure they are still there. Shhhh, maybe mine won't start making noise. I live in a quiet neighborhood and I envision it bouncing off the 2 story homes past us and echoing all around....LOL It may be fun!
    Cathy:D

5. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    i know, that's why i feel so silly now. Well, i feel silly and tired. Those 6:30am wake-up "BOKS!" are getting to me!

Who needs a clock when you have wake-up boks?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by