loud moan/bark sound, hoarse chirping for days help!

mkfspikey

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2017
Tennessee
I have six chicks 10-12 weeks old, one week ago I heard strange sound from coop on morning release, labored breathing from one chick. Treated all six with garlic and apple cider vinegar in water, fresh cut herbs from garden in their food, and vet rx at night.
The strange sound disappeared until this morning, I heard it again. I have been changing their water daily, and fresh food. They have free range of back yard in daytime, and good ventilation at night.
I don't know what to do. They have all had hoarse sounding chirps and I'm afraid they will die.
IMG_2284-2.JPG

I think Chickassan might be right. My 11 girls turned 12 weeks yesterday. In the last week they have started making comical sounds. My New Hampshire Red sounds like a goose honking. I think they are finding their big girl voices.

Can you post a video to YouTube and post a link here? If it sounds like a bark, it may be sneezing. If more than one are doing it fairly often, it could be infectious bronchitis. Symptoms are usually just sneezing or snicking, and sometimes a clear nasal drainage that makes the nostrils collect dirt. But a video might help to distinguish from normal chicken sounds. I agree that the colorful chicken in the foreground is a cockerel.

Oh my gosh, I hope you are all right!, except for the possible bronchitis:(
They haven't had any discharge from eyes or beaks.
The one I think is making the noise is the colorful one with the red cone on his/her head.
Thank you for all your input!
I'll let you know what it turns out to be.

Can you post a video to YouTube and post a link here? If it sounds like a bark, it may be sneezing. If more than one are doing it fairly often, it could be infectious bronchitis. Symptoms are usually just sneezing or snicking, and sometimes a clear nasal drainage that makes the nostrils collect dirt. But a video might help to distinguish from normal chicken sounds. I agree that the colorful chicken in the foreground is a cockerel.
I will try. It's only happened twice in the last 7 days.

I am having something similar with my new chicks almost 2 weeks old now - one started shaking her head, opening her mouth wide, and then making a soft bark like noise. Seems like when she settles her head down to take a short rest this irritates her, she perks up and shakes her head again, etc. Eating and drinking and acting normal. Put probiotic powder in water. Massaged crop/ throat a bit, crop doesn't seem unusual in any way but I'm not too familiar with crop issues. Used some vetrx mixed with water in a pipette/ syringe. She wasn't pleased and not very cooperative. Now I have 2 more making the same sound, not as often as the first chick. All behaving normally otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom