Loudest Hens Imaginable - Need Help ASAP

mosier

Songster
12 Years
Apr 27, 2007
Madison, Wisconsin
Hi all. I need advice, and quick! My hens are becoming intolerable. Each morning they are making obnoxious sounds, so loudly that they wake my household up (and I fear my neighbors too) multiple times each morning and sometimes in the afternoon. It's getting to be way out of hand. Most likely it's connected with egg laying, but sometimes it's at random times. They sounds like their crowing, screaming, yelling, bawking, squawking, you name an obnoxious sound...they do it and LOUDLY. If it was just loud clucks I could handle that, but it's not. They sound as if they are about to die, screaming for their lives.

I have one Rhode Island Red, one Silver Laced Wyandotte, and one Buff Brahma. All three are the problem. They're just over a year old and didn't start this noisy madness until about a month ago.

Any suggestions?

I love these hens and really want to keep them, but I can't tolerate this noise any longer.

Well I am sorry to here about your problem. If they were just bothering you in the morning then I would probably say try and make a coop that no light could get in. Then when you get up in the morning you could open it up and let them out. Hopefully that would keep them asleep until you open the door. Although even that is not fool proof. We have had roosters crowing at midnight before, not regularly but a few times. During the day time I don't think there is really anything you can do. Chickens make noise.

Chickens...both hens and roos are not quiet creatures. It's just the way they are. Like MissPrissy said in another thread about this same issue....anyone who says they're quiet hasn't spent much time around them. They're not going to change.

Could there be something in their yard that's bothering them?
All of my birds were quiet unless something was bothering them, whether it was a cat, a dog, a bird, a snake, a hawk or a kid throwing things at them.

Back
Top Bottom