LOUISIANA FOLKS SPEAK UP

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by cajunlizz, Sep 27, 2008.

1. tattooedchickenlady

tattooedchickenlady Songster

Jul 23, 2008
    Dinky Springs, la
    I'll check with the gravel/sand place around the corner form me and see how much it will cost us.....I had read that other have used it, and I was interested........
    At what age is it safest to put babies in it, I don't want them eating it. I hate going in there and slipping and sliding in mud.
    Do you shovel it out, like mucking the stalls for horses?

2. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Songster

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    NO , you put about 6 inches or more of sand and they dust bath in the sand . you never remove the sand . Sand with the dirt will absorb the rain . You keep adding more from time to time . I do in the run periodially and rake it to even out the holes they scratch in places . LOL they LOVE to DUSK BATH .

Predictions are for a COLD , WET WINTER .... Time will tell . LOL

We get a 1/2 yard in bed of our pickup for $5.00 .... Which makes it $10.00 a yard .

Infact , we need to go and get another yard or 2 before winter sets in.

Hubby arrived today with 5 more cochrin bantams and that makes us a total of THEM of 15 BANTAMS . So we will be building a separate coop and run for them ALSO . DH need to get BUSY . LOL

Our larger breeds are in the other coop and run . WE refuse to MIX our bantams with the larger breed . PLUS we have 18 chicks that have hatched from 2 broody hens ( they are 4 weeks old ) and we have 7 more chicks DUE to hatch next Saturday .

So , total head count after this hatching next Saturday will be about
    110 - 120 ..... ACTUALLY to tell you the truth , HARD to count them all and losing track . LOL

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  3. tattooedchickenlady

tattooedchickenlady Songster

Jul 23, 2008
    Dinky Springs, la
    I hear ya girl...My foray into chickens now encompasses what's left of 200 meat birds (about 150 or so) plus my 14 white leghorns, 1 barred rock, 1 BO, 5 black sex links, 3 red sex links, 5 EE's, 5 BA's, 2 RIR, 3 golden campines, 3 GLW's, and soon to add % Welsummers, and 5 Dominiques...*whew*

I'll have to check on the sand situation. Thanks for the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: