"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Hello BYCer's, I just wanted to let everyone know that I moved back home to Lafayette from Gulfport Ms. I'm starting my flock over and will be breeding rare breeds as a hobby and when I say starting, I mean the eggs are in the incy and some still haven't arrived. I wouldn't call myself a breeder but I'm still learning, everything will be housed separate and culled to improve my flock. I do plan on selling eggs and chicks later next year to help pay some of the feed cost because we all know this is not a money making hobby if you're breeding for perfection.

Here's what I'm starting with and I'm sure I'll add more later:
FBCM's from the Kevin and Wade Jean line
75-100% English blue, black, splash Orpingtons from ReniesPeeps
Blue Isbars from Greenfire Farms
Malaysian Seramas
Lavender Orpingtons from HinkJC
Coronation/Split Sussex

Does anyone have a list of shows, auctions, sales or any other functions to sell, buy or swap chickens in La? Thanks and I look forward to being part of the La chicken community.
There is a weekly auction in Crowley, LA as well as Dequincy, LA. There are various swaps all over the state, but the Covington swap seems to be the best. There is also a Central Louisiana Poultry Club that is fairly new and looking for members. Good luck!

Thanks Gracie, I heard there's 1 in Rayne on Thursday nights but haven't been there or know if it includes poultry. I'll do some checking on that.
Now that you mention it, the one I said was in Crowley might actually be in Rayne
hide.gif
I know it's in that general vicinity. Someone will chime in to clear this up Im sure!

Hello BYCer's, I just wanted to let everyone know that I moved back home to Lafayette from Gulfport Ms. I'm starting my flock over and will be breeding rare breeds as a hobby and when I say starting, I mean the eggs are in the incy and some still haven't arrived. I wouldn't call myself a breeder but I'm still learning, everything will be housed separate and culled to improve my flock. I do plan on selling eggs and chicks later next year to help pay some of the feed cost because we all know this is not a money making hobby if you're breeding for perfection.

Here's what I'm starting with and I'm sure I'll add more later:
FBCM's from the Kevin and Wade Jean line
75-100% English blue, black, splash Orpingtons from ReniesPeeps
Blue Isbars from Greenfire Farms
Malaysian Seramas
Lavender Orpingtons from HinkJC
Coronation/Split Sussex

Does anyone have a list of shows, auctions, sales or any other functions to sell, buy or swap chickens in La? Thanks and I look forward to being part of the La chicken community.
:welcome I don't know if anyone has a list of swaps, but there is usually one each month in Covington and Watson. I believe they are still having them in Opelousas as well. I'm sure the folks here who are in your area can provide more info. You've selected some nice breeds. I once considered adding Blue Isbars, but I have run out of space lol!

I don't know what's going on with my computer. The thread didn't update with everyone's posts from today until after I submitted my post. So weird.

I knew someone would be able to provide info about more swaps! :)

Mornin' La-yers and Byc-ers too.
frow.gif

Not much happenin' here, yet. Looks to be another warm 90* FALL Louisiana day here. Got to love the deep south huh? could be worse it could be freezing still yet like Ohio or Michigan LOL

Jeff

Mornin' La-yers and Byc-ers too.
frow.gif

Not much happenin' here, yet. Looks to be another warm 90* FALL Louisiana day here. Got to love the deep south huh? could be worse it could be freezing still yet like Ohio or Michigan LOL

Jeff
OR Wisconsin! -- had "slushy stuff" in the corners of the patio where we were staying Sat morning!
I am FINALLY home & glad of it! Started to leave Monday but the plane was very broken & there was no way they could figure out how to get me home the same day - there were no connecting flights that I could make - so I ended up driving to my SIL & flying out of Milwaukee yesterday. Got in around 5:00.

Welcome back home Cajun Chooks! sounds like you have a nice selection of breeds!

OR Wisconsin! -- had "slushy stuff" in the corners of the patio where we were staying Sat morning!
I am FINALLY home & glad of it! Started to leave Monday but the plane was very broken & there was no way they could figure out how to get me home the same day - there were no connecting flights that I could make - so I ended up driving to my SIL & flying out of Milwaukee yesterday. Got in around 5:00.

Welcome back home Cajun Chooks! sounds like you have a nice selection of breeds!

Yeah Wisconsin, I knew it was one of those northern most states that had the "slushy stuff" the other day when you were out of kilter there for a spell, LOL

Jeff

Sweet deal! Now you can really get to hatching... Gracie, I definitely want to see the fridge-r-bator!
Looks like the first one I bought 6 years ago, used, on eBay for $300. Sounds like you got a great deal, but would advise you to get the water (humidity tray) with a a float switch and a reservoir bucket. They really cut down on the checking and filling. Did it come with egg trays? They make trays to hold from 20 to 48 eggs each for chickens, duck, turkey, goose eggs and double stacking trays for quail and such small eggs by the gross. Mind came with the quail trays, which I never used. If you plan to do quail, let me know and I will give you some. They are being stored and I don't plan on hatching quail!
highfive.gif
Nice & clean looking, great deal, congrats!
thumbsup.gif
If you get the fever like I did, it will stay full as long as you have an egg to hatch!
Hatching is very addicting !
lau.gif
LOL I have bought a second one like this, but newer model. Both are GQF sportsmen 1502 models, and look just like yours. I love mine!

Back
Top Bottom