"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Sassymygirl, Apr 10, 2009.

1. TBJumper0514

TBJumper0514 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    Probably somewhere on the Northshore...not sure yet what exact area. I would guess between Denham Springs and Covington, but that is just speculation.

2. AprilsFrizzles

AprilsFrizzles Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I don't know about everyone else, but I'm soooo glad it's Friday!! TGIF [​IMG][​IMG]

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

x2

4. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    If anyone is looking to do anything in the Lafayette area this weekend, you may want to check this out.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
    Monday, October 8, 2012
    Tyler Thigpen, Director, Acadiana Food Circle, 337-254-4827 http://www.acadianafoodcircle.org/
    Lilia Smelkova, Center for Science in the Public Interest, [email protected]
    Michelle MacFadyen, Owner, Great Harvest Bread Co., 337-962-6373
    Lafayette takes part in National Food Day Campaign!
    Encourages Acadians to ‘Eat Real’

Lafayette, LA. — On October 27, Acadiana Food Circle and Great Harvest Bread Co. are
    hosting Lafayette’s own Food Day celebration with an afternoon full of REAL food, music, fun
    children’s activities, and information about locally grown food and locally made products.
    “Acadiana Food Circle is happy to team up with Great Harvest Bread Company to promote the
    consumption of local produce, celebrate our local farmers, and bridge the gap between
    conscientious consumers and producers,” said Tyler Thigpen, Director of Acadiana Food Circle.
    Kickoff for Food Day 2012 will take place on October 16, at the City Council Meeting with a
    Food Day Proclamation by City-Parish President, Joey Durel.

Food Day is a FREE event and a great time to meet local farmers and learn about the restaurants
    in the area that use local ingredients to make tasty meals. Gotreaux’s Family Farms, Mark &
    Mary’s City Farm, Market Basket Youngsville, and Homegrown Organics will all be there with
    information about their farms. Jolie’s Bistro and Cochon will have delicious food made from
    local ingredients for purchase. Great Harvest Bread Co. will have a variety of breads and baked
    treats made from scratch. Primo’s Peppers will sell butter, powders, and other products made
    with their pesticide-free peppers. Café Cohen will serve fresh coffee and The Lab will highlight
    their fresh juices and frozen juice bars, while T.R.A.I.L. will be serving beer from local
    breweries.

Food Day is very family friendly with fun activities for the kids including a seed planting
    workshop, face painting, food art, petting zoo, and other activities hosted by Children’s Museum
    of Acadiana.

Informational presentations will be occurring throughout the Food Day event. The presentations
    will cover a variety of topics including “What is REAL Food and How to Find It”, a presentation
    on nutrition, and a cooking demonstration by Jeremy Connor, executive chef at Village Café.
    Acadiana Food Circle will be distributing their local food directory and selling Gonsoulin Land
    & Cattle Ranch beef. Daphne Olivier with My Food Coach will have lots of nutritional
    information available.

All of this is happening on October 27 during 2pm to 6pm at Maurice Heymann Memorial Park,
    on the corner of S. College Road and Girard Park Drive, Lafayette.

National Food Day is a celebration of REAL food and a movement towards healthy, affordable,
    and sustainable food sources. All across the nation, people will come together to discuss issues
    concerning health and nutrition, hunger, agricultural policy, animal welfare, and farm worker
    justice.

The national campaign has five central goals:
    • Reduce diet-related disease by promoting healthy foods.
    • Support sustainable farms and stopping subsidies to agribusiness.
    • Expand access to food and alleviating hunger.
    • Reform factory farms to protect animals and the environment.
    • Curb junk-food marketing to children.

Acadiana Food Circle is a community-based non-profit that connects local consumers to local
    food producers and educates the public on healthy, local food choices. Learn more at
    www.acadianafoodcircle.org or email at [email protected].

Great Harvest is a local bakery known for handcrafted breads made fresh daily with locally
    produced ingredients. Great Harvest bakery is open 7am-6pm Monday-Thursday, 7am-5pm on
    Friday, and 7am-4pm on Saturday. They are located at 854 A Kaliste Saloom Rd., Lafayette, LA
    70508. Learn more at www.GreatHarvestOfAcadiana.com.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  5. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Sounds like alot of fun there Kuntrygirl might be a little cooler than expected though but you can always add some more Cayenne pepper to it you'll get it warm enough very quickly. LOL [​IMG]

Oh by the way howdy doody [​IMG] and hello to all ya'll fellow La-yers and BYC-ers too [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]It's finally Friday [​IMG] and tommorow's Saturday [​IMG] and then its Sunday[​IMG] and I still gotta take care of 500 chickens anyway[​IMG] they don't have weekends or week days or vacations or nothing the just ARE but they are mine so I'm going to enjoy them with full intent and efforts LOL[​IMG]

Jeff [​IMG]

6. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Hey everyone. Just a reminder. When you're buying feed, please make sure that you check the expiration date on the bag (bottom tag on feed bags sold at TSC). Some of the TSC stores have feed that is more than 3 months old. You DO NOT want to buy OLD feed. I wouldn't buy anything that has sat around for more than 30 days. And then 30 days is almost too long. :/ Don't be afraid to ask your feed stores how old the feed is.

7. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    That is one reason I buy my feed from my small town store they don't buy it up in bulk quantities like the big stores do, so when they get their shipment every week its straight from Lone Star in Nacogdoches, Tx. A couple of weeks ago they were plum out of laying pellets had to go back the next day when they got an order in. I like that fresh made too you can smell it when you open the sacks. + its NOT 17-20 bucks a sack either I pay that for a high protein booster feed I add to the breeders reg. rations for hatching season.

Jeff

8. Garilyn Bardash

Garilyn Bardash Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2012
    Lafayette/Carencro
    i ate one loaf and i still have the 3 others too, they haven't been home all day! too bad you aren't a little closer. it is ridiculously easy to make! it takes about 15 minutes to mix it all up and then it is mainly rising time. let me know if you want to give it a try! after you get the feel of the dough being ready to rise, you can make rolls, brown sugar cinnamon braids, jalapeno and cheddar braids. or even parmesan garlic braids. i love to teach others how to make it. it's made out of yeast, water, flour, sugar, salt, and butter. basically add them in a specific order and work into dough! it is really cool that it all turns into edible fresh hot bread!

9. Garilyn Bardash

Garilyn Bardash Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2012
    Lafayette/Carencro
    that's false advertising! thanks for letting us know, beware of hidden untold of charges!

10. jt farm

jt farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Evangeline, Louisiana
    They charge $7 for small orders( less than one full box=100) and $1.00 for each different type of bred/sex. Its listed under there shipping policy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by