"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Lol so my roo-ish/ mouser/ garage chicken has been nesting. Sits and flings hay over the back, makes a BIG poofy nest almost like my rabbits! Sits awhile (ok hours! Thought I was getting an egg! :lau then had to go poke him to make sure he was alive before work lol he was!
This morning I see he's fixing a nest again and now trying (key word is trying :lau) to politely scoot any hen towards it. :gig do roos go broody? Lol No dances, no crowing, biggest scardy catand never shares food. Huge screaming red comb I still think roo (i mean ew he EATS mice not just plays football with them like the girls
) but I never have had a roo get to an age of hormones lol we ate them or sold them! Shoot if he's this submissive AND makes nests he can stay! My ladies are lazy nesters :lau they'll love it.

Lol so my roo-ish/ mouser/ garage chicken has been nesting. Sits and flings hay over the back, makes a BIG poofy nest almost like my rabbits! Sits awhile (ok hours! Thought I was getting an egg! :lau then had to go poke him to make sure he was alive before work lol he was!
This morning I see he's fixing a nest again and now trying (key word is trying :lau) to politely scoot any hen towards it. :gig do roos go broody? Lol No dances, no crowing, biggest scardy catand never shares food. Huge screaming red comb I still think roo (i mean ew he EATS mice not just plays football with them like the girls
) but I never have had a roo get to an age of hormones lol we ate them or sold them! Shoot if he's this submissive AND makes nests he can stay! My ladies are lazy nesters :lau they'll love it.

I didn't think she was a he from the get go! When you don't have a roo a hen will take on that roll. She's finally getting settled at your place. Hens won't lay when stressed. She's getting ready for that first egg.:jumpy

Now that I have sexed chicks I've paid close attention to the differences. I think in time you could sex any breed by the legs and wings. Here's chick picks. Let sleeping chicks lie.

Just went outside. I had zip tied really heavy the new ferret cage to the small steel chick cage.
Bucky, our 7 month old German Shepherd/Blue Heeler mix dog, had eaten the zipties off then broken the doors on the cages and all my babies, even the ones I bought are dead, eaten, just gone.
I caught him up to his shoulders still in the baby cage gnawing on the last one... I am just over whelmed. My whole stock of babies for the year... eaten.
Sad thing was, I was outside 45 minutes ago. Closed up the coop and all was fine. Foxes attacked a few days ago and they couldn't get in at the babies so i was thinking GREAT!!
... but my dog did.
Such an awful night.

My God, honey, I don't know what to say. Yes, I do. Get rid of the dog. Or chain him away from the chickens. I'm not attached to your dog so I have really good advice. (for me) but maybe not for you. So, so sorry.
hugs.gif

And then...
The "small" version of the barn fan you bought is Uber nuff for a barn! Not just a lil rabbitry! Der.

Sooooo, what do we do? Well shoot, buy a barn?! Seemss so! :th
Hubby happened upon a place that sells structures (not barns :lau) and a big sale said BUY THIS NOW and he did. :th in the next 2 weeks we should have 18x22ft long canopy with 2 half sides (the 2 sides don't hit the ground the last 36 inches) and a slew of new cages mounted. Our rabbits will be moving into the new cooled building under the oaks in a couple weeks. Still in shock it all happened so fast :lau but I think I'm gonna love it :bun
The existing rabbitry is being changed to coop chickens, seems we have another batch coming :th lady called me from a craigslist she saved from last year (weird lol) but she has a bunch of 4h meaties she doesn't want :gig people are gonna start dropping of roosters soon - local place across the street here sent someone over to chicken lady (me! And I don't even know anyone that works there lol)

Back
Top Bottom