"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

In all the video's Ive seen on integrating new birds they seem to do the same. If you can let the birds see each other for a week or so without having the ability for them to actually touch each other [dog cage, etc], they seem to have success. That being said, I haven't had any personal experience there.

Introducing a single bird can be tricky in such a small flock. Introducing 3 should work better. It seems like most of the production breeds and hybrids are a little more violent, also.

I do the "look, don't touch" method with new birds. I'll put a dog kennel in the run with the new bird and her own food and water and leave her there for a week or so.
Thank you. Is there a breed that might be better to introduce?

So it looks like two of my six "pullets" may in fact be roosters - both of my Dominiques. I am so sad. I don't know what to do with them - they can not become someones food. :( Then there is the fact that we will only have 4 hens left (hopefully, my God I will totally lose it if more of them end up roosters). I'd like to find a couple other hens around their same age so I can add them in while they're still young and no one kills one another. :(

So it looks like two of my six "pullets" may in fact be roosters - both of my Dominiques. I am so sad. I don't know what to do with them - they can not become someones food. :( Then there is the fact that we will only have 4 hens left (hopefully, my God I will totally lose it if more of them end up roosters). I'd like to find a couple other hens around their same age so I can add them in while they're still young and no one kills one another. :(

I've heard that a lot this year. You have pics for us? Poor Cody ordered straight run and ended up with 100% roos a few years back.

I've heard that a lot this year. You have pics for us? Poor Cody ordered straight run and ended up with 100% roos a few years back.

Sure do. I didn't chance straight run because I knew how attached we'd all get (this whole chicken thing started for my daughter) - but silly me, I thought if the store said it was a pullet, it was a pullet!

8130.jpg

Sure do. I didn't chance straight run because I knew how attached we'd all get (this whole chicken thing started for my daughter) - but silly me, I thought if the store said it was a pullet, it was a pullet!

View attachment 1028325

Look like pol pullets/hens to me! Roos would have long pointed hackle feathers on their necks, pointed saddle feathers above their tails, and curved sickles in their tails.

Look like pol pullets/hens to me! Roos would have long pointed hackle feathers on their necks, pointed saddle feathers above their tails, and curved sickles in their tails.

But they're only 11 weeks old, everyone is saying their wattles and such are too red and developed at this time. :(

Back
Top Bottom