"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Happy Fourth Louisiana laying faithful,

I'm new to BYC both online and in real life.  We have just recently decided purchase a few Buff Orpingtons and we are trying to find the best way to proceed.  We want a few day old chicks for the kids to be able to see grow and take care of.  What is the best way of going about that?  Craigslist?  Online with a 40+ dollar shipping fee?  Anyway.  I was glad to find a forum of like minded folks to share the experience with.  Thanks for any replies,

Anthony

P.S.  we are near Shreveport LA

I also got my first at a feed store. Plain 'ol RIR and Black Star. I love them and they produce nearly an egg a day everyday through the winter and summer. Next I got a beauty from a member of this thread and am very thrilled with that.

Ok, it has started!!! Yes, the fireworks, rockets, buzzers, bombs...it's very loud. My chicks and rabbits are freaking and trying to hide. I have 2 dogs and 1 cat glued to my side as I type this. Sorry to those fireworks lovers out there, but I've never liked them. I can't sleep until very late, my animals are terrified and panting and it's against the law. Obviously not enforced. Oh, well, when it's over I can rest until December 31. Btw, for the first time someone has many enormous ones that explode like a large bomb.

Happy Independence Day to all the chicken lips out there ! Big BBQ today with friends and family the topic of when do cockerels start to crow and why do people call it crowing. We have 4 EE 's and one gale thinks one is a roo but I have no way to tell. Does anyone know when you can tell when the EE's are Roos ? And just exactly where did. The term crowing come from ? You know as I type this I do have google , what a maroon. Lol any way a good day to all and welcome to all the new chicken lips.

Happy Independence Day to all the chicken lips out there ! Big BBQ today with friends and family the topic of when do cockerels start to crow and why do people call it crowing. We have 4 EE 's and one gale thinks one is a roo but I have no way to tell. Does anyone know when you can tell when the EE's are Roos ? And just exactly where did. The term crowing come from ? You know as I type this I do have google , what a maroon. Lol any way a good day to all and welcome to all the new chicken lips.

What I understand and seems to be true with mine: Roos have 3 rows of "beads" where a comb would be and it starts to develop redder than a hen. My girls have 2 rows and they are getting brighter pink but not as dark as the roo I had to give away because we can't have Roos. I found fotos on the Internet.

Good morning. Hope that everyone had a great 4th on yesterday. Nothing much going on here. Had a rowdy group of animals yesterday but what's new. I had to take this pic when I saw it. I also recorded it but will have to try to attach it.

Guess who won this fight? 1 year old pea hen or 2 month old chick?

Instead of Princess being a good pea like the other trio, she had to venture off and pick a fight.

I must say that the adolescent peas are very good at not flying off or running away. Princess is the only one that will venture off but that's because she is nosey. They all did a good job free ranging with all of the rest of the animals. No problems herding them back in to their pea pen.

Back
Top Bottom