"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

[COLOR=000000]Good morning! It’s my birthday today. I am 57 years young! And it’s Friday!
All good! I laughed at the 3 chicks in the brooder this morning – it was chilly, when I went to open the coop for the main flock, I uncovered the brooder & unplugged the heat lamp on my way – when I came back, they were all three peeking through the front of the brooder at me & cheeping in protest. So I turned their heat lamp back on. They have me trained well.

Tonight Jim’s grilling a ribeye and the 2 lobster tails we bought for our anniversary a couple weeks ago & didn’t get around to cooking. I’m doing a broccoli and tomato salad to go with that. My Mom (who will be 83 in 2 weeks) made my traditional birthday cake – a hummingbird cake! & I do wish I could share it w/all of you – Daddy picked up enough fresh pecans to use in it – pecans, crushed pineapple, bananas, cream cheese pecan frosting – it’s downright decadent!
[/COLOR]
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! What is a Hummingbird cake? Sounds interesting!

Good Morning Everyone! It's COLD outside!!!
I've got a problem with my youngest child's favorite bird: Stubbie Nubbie (silver & blk crested Polish) is ruffled up, no sneezing, no discharge from nose or eyes. She was sitting in the coop yesterday afternoon by herself. She hasn't started laying yet, but from what I've read, they aren't necessary good layers. She came out of the coop this morning, but is still being quieter than normal. I picked her up again and checked her over. Nothing, and she didn't feel hot on her chest (that's my initial check with horses). Any advice?
Thanks,
Laurie

I just pulled this beauty out of the oven. We have plenty, plenty of eggs right now, and no desserts in the freezer. So I decided to try making the ten egg cake with my gluten free flour blend and a couple tsp xanthan gum. I just might have to try it at breakfast in the morning. It looks and smells yummy!
Looks good. Nothing like a warm slice of cake with coffee in the morning. Ahhhhhh.....

Good Morning Everyone!  It's COLD outside!!!
I've got a problem with my youngest child's favorite bird:  Stubbie Nubbie (silver & blk crested Polish) is ruffled up, no sneezing, no discharge from nose or eyes.  She was sitting in the coop yesterday afternoon by herself.  She hasn't started laying yet, but from what I've read, they aren't necessary good layers.  She came out of the coop this morning, but is still being quieter than normal.  I picked her up again and checked her over.  Nothing, and she didn't feel hot on her chest (that's my initial check with horses).  Any advice?
Thanks,
Laurie

There are lots of experts on this thread, but I'm not one of them. I'm just wondering (from the experts) if this is her first winter and bec it's the coldest day do far, do some hens do this to keep warm????

Last edited:
There are lots of experts on this thread, but I'm not one of them. I'm just wondering (from the experts) if this is her first winter and bec it's the coldest day do far, do some hens do this to keep warm????
I've had parakeets and cockatiels growing up, and they did do this to help keep warm, but also when they weren't feeling well. Being so new to chickens, I didn't know if there was something "obvious" I was missing. Also, I haven't set up a heat lamp yet. I didn't know at what temp I needed to. I will also try and figure out what "set up " to use with the coop and lamp today (so I don't make fried chicken).

I've had parakeets and cockatiels growing up, and they did do this to help keep warm, but also when they weren't feeling well. Being so new to chickens, I didn't know if there was something "obvious" I was missing. Also, I haven't set up a heat lamp yet. I didn't know at what temp I needed to. I will also try and figure out what "set up " to use with the coop and lamp today (so I don't make fried chicken).
You shouldn't need a heat lamp. The only thing I do for them is block the wire in areas where they roost by installing 1/4 inch plywood over it to cut the breeze: I keep part of it open for ventilation though as that is crucial during the winter when they are indoors more hours.
Most birds do fine in the cold. For extremely cold days, way under 20 degrees (we are talking frostbite weather) you do need to be cautious of large combed breeds and watch their feet. It very rarely gets cold enough to worry about such things here though. That is more for the folks up north.

Good Morning La-yers! Sorry to have not been around much but I have been insanely busy and I think its about to get worse...lol.

The registration deadline for the Gulf South Fall Classic in Baton Rouge on November 9th is this coming Thursday October 31st. As of this morning we had over 300 birds registered for the show and numerous calls, emails, and PM's on Facebook telling me that folks are sending theirs in today.

We have a large field of Old English with 60 entered, we have 40 Marans, 23 Rhode Island Reds, around 30 Cornish, 16 Plymouth Rocks, 9 Ameraucanas, quite a few Araucanas, Wyandottes, Bantam Cochins, some Sumatras, Australorps, Orpingtons, New Hampshires, Welsummers, Call Ducks, Regular Ducks, even a couple of geese and several other breeds as well.

We are getting quite a few kids registering for our APA/ABA Youth Club sanctioned showmanship event. This is the first year for this and we are very excited about it. Kids don't have to be a member of the club and their are trophies from the Youth Club for 1st and 2nd place in each of the 3 age divisions! Half the spots are filled as of this morning (we can take 25-30 kids).

Fingers are crossed that we can hit 500 registrations! I hope to see some of you there. PrimroseMom1 has graciously volunteered to come help out that day, so she'll be there as well.
Have a great weekend everyone.

Last edited:
Want to say Thank You! A few weeks ago I posted about a friends who's RIR were not laying. Well he started feeding them some oyster shells an now he is finding eggs in the nest boxes. What was really happening is the chickens were laying BUT they were eating their own egg. Now that he is giving them oyster shell they or no longer eating the eggs
thumbsup.gif

And Thanks again for the help.

Want to say Thank You! A few weeks ago I posted about a friends who's RIR were not laying. Well he started feeding them some oyster shells an now he is finding eggs in the nest boxes. What was really happening is the chickens were laying BUT they were eating their own egg. Now that he is giving them oyster shell they or no longer eating the eggs
thumbsup.gif

And Thanks again for the help.
thumbsup.gif
there ya go

yep nature at its best (self preservation), huh?

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom