"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

:( I don't know what it is , sorry Stubbie didn't make it.
Are other birds acting similar?
Could they have gotten into something or just the Stubbie?
How's poops look?
:(

Sadly, Stubbie Nubbie did not make it through the night.  This morning I heard two others sneeze.  Someone in the emergencies thread suggested coccidiosis because they were 6 months old.  Should I treat all of them with corid?  Or, is there something else I should use?  There are no "symptoms".  The one we lost got quiet, started panting and holding her wings down and away from her body.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Laurie
[/B]

Last edited:
Sadly, Stubbie Nubbie did not make it through the night. This morning I heard two others sneeze. Someone in the emergencies thread suggested coccidiosis because they were 6 months old. Should I treat all of them with corid? Or, is there something else I should use? There are no "symptoms". The one we lost got quiet, started panting and holding her wings down and away from her body.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Laurie
Laurie,

First, sorry for your loss.
hit.gif

So, was Stubbie sneezing prior to the other symptoms? Sneezing is usually indicative of something respiratory, like sinus infection or a type of CRD. A bird with Cocci will stand all bunched up with its wings pointed down, feathers puffed out and look scrunched up (head not held up away from body...my daughter says they look like an old-time vampire with a cape so calls it Vladding).

Only one or two strains of Cocci cause the bloody stool: The others only the symptoms above. They will begin to get thin and may act fine for a few minutes and even eat then go right back to being lethargic and puffed up.

Treating for Cocci won't hurt anything, so I would use the Corid for 5 days. For the sneezers I would try some Tylan injections perhaps: Although I use Denagard for anything remotely respiratory in nature usually with better results. Good luck and I hope the others do better.

Rhonda

Laurie,

First, sorry for your loss.
hit.gif

So, was Stubbie sneezing prior to the other symptoms? Sneezing is usually indicative of something respiratory, like sinus infection or a type of CRD. A bird with Cocci will stand all bunched up with its wings pointed down, feathers puffed out and look scrunched up (head not held up away from body...my daughter says they look like an old-time vampire with a cape so calls it Vladding).

Only one or two strains of Cocci cause the bloody stool: The others only the symptoms above. They will begin to get thin and may act fine for a few minutes and even eat then go right back to being lethargic and puffed up.

Treating for Cocci won't hurt anything, so I would use the Corid for 5 days. For the sneezers I would try some Tylan injections perhaps: Although I use Denagard for anything remotely respiratory in nature usually with better results. Good luck and I hope the others do better.

Rhonda
Thanks for your help. Stubbie was not sneezing prior to the symptoms. I ran by TSC this morning and picked up Corid powder (all they had) for the water. I also picked up Duramycin 10 water soluble, and aureomycin 4gm medicated crumble and tylan 50 injectable. I had not started my "kit" and figured I better start having things on hand. The lady at TSC didn't have a clue about chickens.
I am going to start treating with Corid in their water. I've read 1 tsp per gallon. As for the 2 sneezes I heard this morning. Last night was the first night that I ever locked up their coop for the night. They were less than pleased with me when I opened their door this morning. They were all pushing and fussing getting out of the coop this morning and with some of them moulting, I'm not sure what caused the two sneezes. I will listen today, and if I hear anything else, I will start treating with Tylan 50 injectable.

Do I treat all birds with Tylan 50, or only the "sneezers"? Would one of the other medications I purchased work? Maybe one of the water addatives? What is the Tylan 50 dosing? I've read 1cc for full sized birds. Injected 1/2 " at 45 degree angle in breast? What is the number of days?

Sorry to pepper you with questions. I greatly appreciate your help. I can't lose anymore of my girls.
Laurie

I checked when I got up and there were no babies hatched. I was getting a little worried about the first one that pipped because it didn't seen to have made much progress. We made up a pot of gumbo then went back to check. And we knew as soon as we came in the greenhouse that some were out because they were talking to Mom. They are too cute!! 2 more at least are pipping. She is being a very sweet mommy! I hope she keeps it up.

Last edited:
I checked when I got up and there were no babies hatched. I was getting a little worried about the first one that pipped because it didn't seen to have made much progress. We made up a pot of gumbo then went back to check. And we knew as soon as we came in the greenhouse that some were out because they were talking to Mom. They are too cute!! 2 more at least are pipping. She is being a very sweet mommy! I hope she keeps it up.

They are beautiful!

They are so tiny! We checked on the nest when mom went to drink. The full size EE has pipped now and has a piece out of the shell big enough to see the tip of its beak. But that area has blood around it and it was face down. All the others were pip side up. I put that one pip side up and hope it comes out ok. It was moving so maybe it just caught a vessel when it broke that piece out. I didn't see any actual bleeding anymore. This fun for the kids to see but I am glad we are leaving for a little bit. I need to leave momma to it at least for a bit. I did have to take out some shell pieces because they slid over the end of another un-hatched egg.

Just wanted to share. I did this drawing yesterday on a 9 x 12 bristol plate paper. It's done in pencil, ink, marker, and colored pencil. I hope to get this matted and framed and it will be donated as a raffle prize at the show in Baton Rouge. I have several different designs featuring different Fleur de Lis and other breeds of birds. All I need is time to do one or two more in time for the show. Hopefully, we can earn a couple bucks from them!
That is beautiful!! You are multi-talented. How did you find time for that?? Bet you're not sleeping at all.

Thanks for your help. Stubbie was not sneezing prior to the symptoms. I ran by TSC this morning and picked up Corid powder (all they had) for the water. I also picked up Duramycin 10 water soluble, and aureomycin 4gm medicated crumble and tylan 50 injectable. I had not started my "kit" and figured I better start having things on hand. The lady at TSC didn't have a clue about chickens.
I am going to start treating with Corid in their water. I've read 1 tsp per gallon. As for the 2 sneezes I heard this morning. Last night was the first night that I ever locked up their coop for the night. They were less than pleased with me when I opened their door this morning. They were all pushing and fussing getting out of the coop this morning and with some of them moulting, I'm not sure what caused the two sneezes. I will listen today, and if I hear anything else, I will start treating with Tylan 50 injectable.

Do I treat all birds with Tylan 50, or only the "sneezers"? Would one of the other medications I purchased work? Maybe one of the water addatives? What is the Tylan 50 dosing? I've read 1cc for full sized birds. Injected 1/2 " at 45 degree angle in breast? What is the number of days?

Sorry to pepper you with questions. I greatly appreciate your help. I can't lose anymore of my girls.
Laurie
Laurie,

I'd use the Tylan at 1/2cc for large adult fowl, 1/4cc for small or younger birds for 3-5 days. Alternate the injection site and I've heard that either Sub-Q or intramuscular will work. If you do intramuscular don't go too deep.
I would only treat the sneezers: You don't want to dose anybody you don't have to as it just leads to resistance in the bacteria/bug which eventually renders the antibiotic useless.

Hope this helps...have to get back outside: I'm being paged by my hubby.
That is beautiful!! You are multi-talented. How did you find time for that?? Bet you're not sleeping at all.
I did that and the other 4 designs in 5 hours yesterday. I just sat at the dining room table without interruptions and knocked it out. I managed to get to bed by 10:30 last night despite multiple messages about the show on Facebook chat after 10...lol.

Back
Top Bottom