"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

My Brinsea died.
hit.gif

I have eggs coming from Chris this week & the only fallback I have is my old 1602 styrofoam hovanbator.
But I hatched many a chick out of it, & I remember how to hand turn eggs. So I can do this. I WILL do this.

I was there over 2 hours w/my Mom -- didn't see even when I asked around!!! Maybe we'll get some new members because I sure was pushing us! Mom was getting tired so we bugged out around noon. She had a hot air balloon tethered flight before we left town so she had a very full day -- and had a blast!! -- we talked all the way there & all the way home -- what a TERRIFIC WONDERFUL show!!!!! Bet you she's sound asleep right now, lol!

Omigosh I had no idea NO IDEA they grew chickens that large --- and that small! and that beautiful! Seriously, I thought I had a couple of big roos -- but that went to a whole 'nother level! those were monsters!!! NOW I understand the difference between "heritage, breeder, show quality" and the rest. I get it!

This was just AWESOME & eye-opening. I think my addiction just went to a new level.

I took some pics but none do the fowl justice, I'll upload tomorrow, my camera battery died!

I want true Aracauanas. Good Lord, they are so pretty & unique & I LOVE LOVE LOVE the "ear tufts" on them!

and call ducks -- my gosh, they were so sweet & so darn cute!!! Did you know they "whisper" -- my heart just sank.... if I had a place to put them, I'd have them in a heartbeat & i NEVER thought I'd say that about a duck.

and Seramas - so perky & tiny & cute!

& OE games -- didn't know they were that tiny!

Seabrights - so pretty!

Silver lace wyandottes -- gorgeous coloring!

My Cuckoo Marans roo could've beaten that one I think - but my hens, I don't know. Two of them look good compared to what I saw today, two are not that good.
My Welsummers are as good as the ones I saw, I think - but again, my hens need to be bigger.

It was a wonderful day and experience & I thank all of you who helped put it on -- and HEY! -- look for me next year -- I might just be competing!!!

You know the best thing I liked about the judging was that the name of whomever bred or owns the bird was NOT on the cage tag -- OK that's cool, so unless the judges personally have run into that bird before & recognize it, they don't know who owns it -- that is so fair, eliminating bias & politics ( I know some of that goes on anyway, but still), I liked that.

5 star rating from me!

I am really glad you enjoyed the show. Wish I hadn't been so darned busy and could have met you. I was running around like an absolute crazy lady fixing problems for exhibitors. I wish I would have borrowed my daughter's pedometer so I could see how many miles I walked Friday and Saturday combined!

Also, PrimroseMom1..it was extremely nice to meet you and your granddaughter.....THANK YOU for all your and your granddaughter's help! You were such a huge help just jumping in where needed and such a pleasure to be around. Also on a personal note, you took a LOT of pressure off me by helping me with my birds Friday evening! I was very worried about them since I had no time to coop them in until everyone else was finished!

Last edited:
You must try the recipe I posted last night!!! It is amazing, and you would never guess by the amazing taste that is it relatively healthy!!!!!!
Suoooooo........I made the GF cake mix and tried a modified version of that recipe.

HOLY CAKE CRUMBS BATMAN!!! These people are digging in! I told my oldest she could taste it (it was still hot).....that was MORE than a TASTE she took!!! Lol!!! Its like a cross between Pumpkin pie, Pralines and Pumpkin cake. Yummy, yummy!

Is everyone getting their Thanksgiving meal ideas together? I'm getting several requests for people wanting ducks and geese. Last year grocery store price for a goose was $65.00. Not sure I could eat a goose though.
(hand raised!)

I usually just get a turkey since that is what is affordable. They always have them for like 50cents a pound. I am for sure in the mood for all of our favorites. Smoked or Roasted Turkey, Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Gravy or Twice Baked, Sweet Potatoes, homemade Cranberry sauce, Cornbread stuffing, Green bean casserole, (I just gained 5 lbs typing all that) Deviled Eggs(we use cream cheese in our filling, it ROCKS!!!), Pies!

And Hubby just said smoked Pork Butt! As if the above wouldn't be enough
lol.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I know right?! My sister-in-law was just going to take one taste of the portion I brought her and then "save it for tomorrow". Bye Bye cake! I had to dish that stuff out to keep myself from eating it all!

When we do Thanksgiving, different family members are responsible for different courses. I am always in charge of the desserts. I am not sure what is on the main menu this year, probably turkey but last year it was Turducken.

I am really glad you enjoyed the show. Wish I hadn't been so darned busy and could have met you. I was running around like an absolute crazy lady fixing problems for exhibitors. I wish I would have borrowed my daughter's pedometer so I could see how many miles I walked Friday and Saturday combined!

Also, PrimroseMom1..it was extremely nice to meet you and your granddaughter.....THANK YOU  for all your and your granddaughter's help! You were such a huge help just jumping in where needed and such a pleasure to be around. Also on a personal note, you took a LOT of pressure off me by helping me with my birds Friday evening! I was very worried about them since I had no time to coop them in until everyone else was finished!

You and Chris are so welcome. I had SO much fun. I was in chicken heaven. Amanda had a blast too. We will DEFINATELY volunteer next year. We can't wait. And if you need help before the night before let me know as the time approaches. You guys are the best!!

You and Chris are so welcome. I had SO much fun. I was in chicken heaven. Amanda had a blast too. We will DEFINATELY volunteer next year. We can't wait. And if you need help before the night before let me know as the time approaches. You guys are the best!!
Doggoneit next year we have to wear t-shirts or something so we can find each other! I am so sorry I missed meeting you guys - altho i probably talked to both of you at one point or the other!
Oh well, next year I hope to be showing so we'll meet up for sure!

Just ordered another auto-turner cradle for my Brinsea, at least it was cheaper than a whole new one. I have got to hatch out some of those big bad boys!

Yeah me too I missed out going as we had to make up a two day racing event due to previous rain outs and best of all WE WON that was worth it all.

I planning on being there next year with winning birds in hand too (I hope) these things I got blood sweat money and tears in need to prove their worth other than prettying up this joint around here LOL

Jeff
Way to go on the WIN!!! and see you next year -- we'll give Chris a run for his money, lol!!!

doing pumpkin muffins tomorrow -- have made these before -- they are pretty good!

Pumpkin Cupcakes with Whipped Cinnamon Icing
Adapted from
Joy of Baking
Printable Recipe
Makes 12 Cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup granulated white sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp salt
For the filling:
1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, softened
1/3 cup whipping cream, at room temperature
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla bean extract
2 1/2 to 3 cups powdered sugar
For the cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer mix the butter and sugar together on medium speed until light in color and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, vanilla, and pumpkin and mix until well combined. Sprinkle the flour on top of the butter mixture and then sprinkle the baking powder, soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and salt over the top of the flour. Mix on low until everything if combined and you have a thick cake batter. Fill 12 muffin tin cups, lined with a paper liner, two-thirds full and then bake for 16-18 minutes until the cake springs back when touched and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let the cupcakes cool to room temperature out of the pan.
For the filling: Use a stand mixer or electric hand mixer to beat the butter, whipping cream, cinnamon, and vanilla bean extract with the wire whisk attachment.. Beat at medium-high speed until very light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the powdered sugar and beat for another 3-5 minutes. The filling will be very fluffy and a medium-thin consistency. If the icing is too thick, add a touch of cream and beat again. If it is too thin add a little more powdered sugar and beat again.
Pipe the icing into the cooled cupcakes using an 2A tip.

Back
Top Bottom