"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

When I was learning, I would buy my fish and freeze it for 7 days. The freeze makes it not 'fresh' outta the ocean but does kill anything naughty in it it may have picked up.
Now I don't freeze it...my guts are brave :lau but I've learned a lot more about bacteria and such and safe handling, so i feel confident when I'm working with raw meats. Or eating them lol.

idunno.gif
goodpost.gif

Question... Local feed store has golden laced cochins::::all of which have pasty butt and I feel awful for them!! Anyone know how they lay or if they are a timid breed??? Or if I am stupid for even considering rescuing them!!!??? LoL

Question... Local feed store has golden laced cochins::::all of which have pasty butt and I feel awful for them!! Anyone know how they lay or if they are a timid breed??? Or if I am stupid for even considering rescuing them!!!??? LoL
i know nothing about the breed but i say rescue them!!

When I was learning, I would buy my fish and freeze it for 7 days. The freeze makes it not 'fresh' outta the ocean but does kill anything naughty in it it may have picked up.
Now I don't freeze it...my guts are brave
lau.gif
but I've learned a lot more about bacteria and such and safe handling, so i feel confident when I'm working with raw meats. Or eating them lol.
so, you're telling me i can use the frozen salmon??? if so, i will be trying my hand at sushi making this afternoon. minus the seaweed because i can't get that locally

Yes. Technically ALL fish for sushi bought made or through a restaurant is previously frozen a specific amount of time to kill any bad organisms. While not 100% effective its much safer.

I have had tuna right outta the ocean and its amazing. But that's a rare event for me lol. Salmon and rainbow trout are the other two I've tried "off the hook" lol Mmmmm Mmmmm
so, you're telling me i can use the frozen salmon??? if so, i will be trying my hand at sushi making this afternoon. minus the seaweed because i can't get that locally

Yes. Technically ALL fish for sushi bought made or through a restaurant is previously frozen a specific amount of time to kill any bad organisms. While not 100% effective its much safer.

I have had tuna right outta the ocean and its amazing. But that's a rare event for me lol. Salmon and rainbow trout are the other two I've tried "off the hook" lol Mmmmm Mmmmm
oh yes..... i will definitely be trying it now

No i haven't, it will most likely be fall or spring, i am in the process of obtaining pure bred stock for that, although I may experiment before then, if i can find a way to improve the stock i have, I am going to take baby steps because this is something i am passionate about and i intend to succeed in the breeding venture, this is the barred rocks their first night in their coop, you might not see all of them but there are 20 of them [COLOR=B42000] [/COLOR]
It looks like you used chicken wire. I hope you used hardware cloth and I'm just not seeing it. Most predators can get threw chicken wire. Pam

Im going to have to try finding fish. It being fresh is what worries me.

Your nose and eyes are the best tools to tell. 1 If it smells like sea water? That is fresh. Smells fishy older than 3 days not fresh. If you buy the whole fish is the eye clear fresh cloudy not fresh. Any slime not fresh.. Pam

Back
Top Bottom