"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Hey, the coop looks good Lakones.
smile.png
Well done on your carpentry. It will be a nice amount of space for the # of birds you plan to house.

I haven't had a lot of time to work on the new coop, but I did get out there today. I need one more day and it will be ready for paint, wire and chickens!! Below are a couple of pics, but it's kinda hard to tell what the layout is. Basically it is a 12'x24' building that we had a ton of junk in! I cleaned it out and framed a wall down the middle length ways so that there were two 6'x24' sections. The the one on the right I divided into four coops and also added one at the rear on the left side. I have built the nesting boxes and droppings boards along with a couple of shelves for supplies, but I am painting them separately and will install later. Two windows are installed on the right side and I have two more to install on the left and one on the back wall, but I have to wait for hubby's help with those. Each coop will have an exit door thru the wall to a 10'x30' run. I don't plan on running more than 10 birds in each so 36 sq ft inside and 300 sq ft outside should be good.

Great conversion.

This big girl is only about 25 weeks. She is a pretty chilled out girl and has just started laying a couple of days ago. Yay! She is so funny to watch walk because of her already big fanny.

I've always loved her eyes. So cool.

I cooked one of the CX cockerels yesterday evening. I usually do two dual purpose at a time in this roaster or a 20+ pound turkey.
big_smile.png

I thought the bird had more flavor than a commercial raised but hard to tell. My family thought it was delicious and really liked it. The last few weeks I fed them grains and a lot of corn. These birds had tons of fat on them. I think I like the dual purpose birds better but I like more dark meat than white. It was still quite tasty though. I would raise these birds again. They really fill up the freezer. I was able to squeeze most of them into the regular size shrink wrap bags but a few needed turkey size bags.

That looks YUMMY!!!!

I cooked one of the CX cockerels yesterday evening. I usually do two dual purpose at a time in this roaster or a 20+ pound turkey. :D I thought the bird had more flavor than a commercial raised but hard to tell. My family thought it was delicious and really liked it. The last few weeks I fed them grains and a lot of corn. These birds had tons of fat on them. I think I like the dual purpose birds better but I like more dark meat than white. It was still quite tasty though. I would raise these birds again. They really fill up the freezer. I was able to squeeze most of them into the regular size shrink wrap bags but a few needed turkey size bags.
Kudos!!! It looks fantastic. Filled that pan right up. Ha. Filling the freezer is what it's all about. I bought . A pressure canner the other day for veggies, but I read this great book. " I Can Can Chicken". It was so good that I bought the others in her set. Canning beef, beans and relishes. I don't have my freezer yet so will stock up on pantry meeats

Hi Linda,
I received the capon tools today thank you very much. Now to start learning. I'll let you know how things go. Did you ever do it successfully capon any roo. I do plan on learning post mortum. Pam

I only had one and it is one of those things you must practice on the dead birds first. Page 109 will get you good pictures on " My day of learning to caponize" thread. The very best. :D

Last edited:
Oh! I've been meaning to tell you guys this: because my camp kitchen is inspected by DHH, I have to use food from "approved" (ie: inspected) sources. So no yard eggs for the camp, at least not this year.

I found a company that I can order through my food truck company that has "cage free" and "certified humane" grade AA eggs for only about $4 more per 15 dozen (my usual order) than the regular kind.

Now I know that "cage free" and "certified humane" don't mean "spoiled and happy." I know it can just mean they're crammed into a warehouse without cages. It's just the best I can do, for now. But look at these yolks!

So I know they're not as happy as my own hens, but the eggs were very fresh and delicious.

Oh! I've been meaning to tell you guys this: because my camp kitchen is inspected by DHH, I have to use food from "approved" (ie: inspected) sources. So no yard eggs for the camp, at least not this year.

I found a company that I can order through my food truck company that has "cage free" and "certified humane" grade AA eggs for only about $4 more per 15 dozen (my usual order) than the regular kind.

Now I know that "cage free" and "certified humane" don't mean "spoiled and happy." I know it can just mean they're crammed into a warehouse without cages. It's just the best I can do, for now. But look at these yolks!

So I know they're not as happy as my own hens, but the eggs were very fresh and delicious.

I think the darker orange yolks are a sign that the hens that lay them have been outside in the sun. Good old vitamin D makes the yolks orange. Pam

Back
Top Bottom