"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Been a min since I've had a chance to get on here. Hope everyone is safe with all the flooding. Figured I might as well post pic of some of my latest hatches.

What breeds do you have their? Pam

Prayers to all up here in Bossier areas bad. But something good from our turkey shes hatched some chicken eggs and we're waiting on poults. Got a Nigerian Dwarf goat getting ready to kid. Thinking of ya'll.

Do you all vaccinate your chicks/chickens for Marek's? If you do, do you vaccinate any chicks hatched by a hen? I really don't know if I should vaccinate or not. Has anyone here in Louisiana had Marek's? Thank you.
My Sister has Mareks in her flock. If the broody has Mareks and she hatches the chicks then they've been exposed already and it's to late to vaccinate for mareks. Chicks have to be vaccinated and quarantined for at least three weeks for Mareks disease. The vaccine doesn't prevent them from catching and carrying mareks.

Here's a lot of info on Mareks.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

Do you all vaccinate your chicks/chickens for Marek's? If you do, do you vaccinate any chicks hatched by a hen? I really don't know if I should vaccinate or not. Has anyone here in Louisiana had Marek's? Thank you.

The only ones of mine that have been vaccinated came from a hatchery and received what was available at that time. I'm really pickey about other bird owners walking in/around my flock so as not to bring anything in. I know that alone will not prevent them from getting sick, but it is a start.

Quote:

Quote:
If the broody is vaccinated. Then what? Do you let her stay with the chicks and vaccinate the chicks or separate the chicks and vaccinate them? None of the articles have addressed that. It is sad that you can no longer let hens hatch chicks because you wouldn't know if they were exposed to Mareks or not if they had the vaccine. Taking them away from the hen would be awful. I would rather a natural hatch than an incubated one any day.
sad.png

Last edited:
Prayers to all up here in Bossier areas bad. But something good from our turkey shes hatched some chicken eggs and we're waiting on poults. Got a Nigerian Dwarf goat getting ready to kid. Thinking of ya'll.

I'm thankful that we were spared from the flooding and my prayers go out to everyone who suffered losses from it. Hope everyone is able to recover from this.

Also, kudos on the turkey hatching chicken eggs :) One day I will hopefully have a broody.

Back
Top Bottom