"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Ok I'm at a loss.. I have 6 roosters that all differ in ages and breeds. I need to rehome them.. And I've tried everything to find them a new home.. so I'm asking for help on here because this group is so big. I have a Easter egger roo 6-7 months old. 2 6-7 week old frizzle roos (one may have minimal mottling) and then I have 3 salmon favorelle roos that are roughly 2-3 weeks old. I'm not going to call any of them. So if your interested in any of them or know someone who is. Please feel free to get in touch with me on here, or Facebook under Jauntay felice. Thank y'all! Located in northern Louisiana btw but willing to travel a little ways if interested. :)

Ok I'm at a loss.. I have 6 roosters that all differ in ages and breeds. I need to rehome them.. And I've tried everything to find them a new home.. so I'm asking for help on here because this group is so big. I have a Easter egger roo 6-7 months old. 2 6-7 week old frizzle roos (one may have minimal mottling) and then I have 3 salmon favorelle roos that are roughly 2-3 weeks old. I'm not going to call any of them. So if your interested in any of them or know someone who is. Please feel free to get in touch with me on here, or Facebook under Jauntay felice. Thank y'all! Located in northern Louisiana btw but willing to travel a little ways if interested. :)

I meant cull not call btw lol

I presently have 2 gold sex links,and 2 black hens that are supposed to lay blue eggs. I am interested in 6 more hens and a rooster. I am not particular about kind of breeds right now,I would just like to have some laying hens until th efall when I will buy some sex link chicks. Thanks so mucg!

Well A few weeks ago a let my broodies set their eggs. Let me tell you I've learned a lot watching these crazy birds. The two Bielefelder girls one has turned mean and I think she killed the others single chick. I found no trace of it this morning. I figured she or the rest of the flock ate it.
The poor mother has been hanging out in the coop all day. The Barbezieux on the other hand are making good mothers. Three were piled in one nest box on the eggs until the chicks hatched. One of them has started brooding another clutch already. The mother has a co-mother helping her raise the three chicks that have survived so far.

Well A few weeks ago a let my broodies set their eggs. Let me tell you I've learned a lot watching these crazy birds. The two Bielefelder girls one has turned mean and I think she killed the others single chick. I found no trace of it this morning. I figured she or the rest of the flock ate it.
The poor mother has been hanging out in the coop all day. The Barbezieux on the other hand are making good mothers. Three were piled in one nest box on the eggs until the chicks hatched. One of them has started brooding another clutch already. The mother has a co-mother helping her raise the three chicks that have survived so far.

I love broodies!! I have two right now. I had three, but when chicks started hatching she killed them. Gave her last two eggs (one each) to the BCM and the HRIR.

The BCM hatched four chicks but rejected one. One of her remaining three drowned in the goats water bucket. She keeps her last two in the tree at the back of the pen, as far from the flock as possible.

The HRIR hatched four chicks and accepted the one that the BCM wouldn't take. She hasn't lost any, and she keeps her brood in the middle of everything. She tries to fight the goats off their feed so the chicks can have it.

Hey CampingS. :) Hope you and your family have been doing well this summer.

Yea. I didn't know it was so touch and go with broodies. Chicken life is brutal!
I know now that if I want to be sure chicks have a good chance to make it I better hatch them and raise them in a brooder. Lol!

Hey CampingS. :) Hope you and your family have been doing well this summer.

Yea. I didn't know it was so touch and go with broodies. Chicken life is brutal!
I know now that if I want to be sure chicks have a good chance to make it I better hatch them and raise them in a brooder. Lol!

Doing good!! Super busy this year. My friend from Ruston came to visit last weekend. He was supposed to contact your sister about eggs but never did. :/ I gave him a nice egg lesson while he was here and fed him lots of fresh eggs... So maybe when he gets back he'll be in the market. ;)

Are yours first-time broodies? All three of mine were. I was surprised that the cochin killed her chicks, since they're supposed to be such good broodies. The BCM is pretty fierce, and I feel like her babies will be pretty wild. Oh, my hona went broody in the spring, she kept her brood for about 6-7 weeks. When she weaned them off, the roo brooded them about another week. It was pretty awesome.

I've had first timers that were awesome, and terrible first timers that were awesome the second time. But there's more consistency when you incubate and brood yourself, for sure.

Back
Top Bottom