"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Since I am pretty much starting over I'm planning to do something similar to the pic below. I'm planning for just 2 fenced areas, not 3 as pictured. My thought is to run the flock in one fenced area and garden in the other. After the garden plays out, switch sides. Let them scratch thro what's left and start working the other side for the next garden. I found this in a book from the 1920's. Sounds like a good plan, time will tell.

Thanks! I was worried about that and wondered if I should fence off the veggie garden. I'll definitely do that then!

Question about getting chicken back into the coop. Do they automatically go in at days or I have to round them up. If they do automatically go, what round about time? Once it's dark?

They will return to what they know as home each evening around dusk or a little before. To get them to know the coup as home, place them in there for about a week. If you're just starting then you can let them grow up in the coop from chicks and the rest is natural for them. Predator proofing the coop is of utmost importance. Front, back, side and bottom, they come from all directions.
Welcome to the forum and enjoy your chicken journey!

Since I am pretty much starting over I'm planning to do something similar to the pic below. I'm planning for just 2 fenced areas, not 3 as pictured. My thought is to run the flock in one fenced area and garden in the other. After the garden plays out, switch sides. Let them scratch thro what's left and start working the other side for the next garden. I found this in a book from the 1920's. Sounds like a good plan, time will tell.

That's perfect! Should be nice. Keep us updated on progress

It's been a hot minute since I posted, but between working 6 10s, getting a new dog, and moving into and simultaneously renovating a new house, I can share this! 16' x 24' coop for my wyandottes. It will be split down the middle with two 8 x 8 coops and two large runs. One side will be for my breeders and the other for growing out birds. I'm beyond excited to be able to expand my flock. It's going to be quite the process to fit in all this work but so far it's been doable with some (a lot) of late nights and early mornings.

It's been a hot minute since I posted, but between working 6 10s, getting a new dog, and moving into and simultaneously renovating a new house, I can share this! 16' x 24' coop for my wyandottes. It will be split down the middle with two 8 x 8 coops and two large runs. One side will be for my breeders and the other for growing out birds. I'm beyond excited to be able to expand my flock. It's going to be quite the process to fit in all this work but so far it's been doable with some (a lot) of late nights and early mornings.

That sonunds amazing! I can't wait to get going on mine.

Last edited:
We cut the tops of the posts for the roof yesterday and I'll be buying the 2x6s for the joists sometime in the next few days.

I've been anxious to expand for a couple years now and can't tell you how happy I am to finally start

Keep us updated on the heritage RIRs, I may want a few also.

I took a little road trip the other day and got some chicks and hatching eggs. The parent birds look pretty good to me and the guy said they were a few generations removed from Don Nelson birds which are some of the best in the country. I have 24 eggs in the bator so if the hatch goes well you are welcome to some of them. Here are pics

I took a little road trip the other day and got some chicks and hatching eggs. The parent birds look pretty good to me and the guy said they were a few generations removed from Don Nelson birds which are some of the best in the country. I have 24 eggs in the bator so if the hatch goes well you are welcome to some of them. Here are pics

Beautiful birds, nice find!

Back
Top Bottom