"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

I'll probably sell my only buff orp paired with one of the little maran roos. No one really likes her, she's always off by herself. Just need a dry day to get pics, I have 3 goats to sell, too.

I have 3 different aged Nigerian does to sell. One is 2 yrs., one is 6 months and one is 3 months. You can have them text me if they are interested. If they haven't looked at goat prices recently, they may be surprised. I am asking $250 each, I may make a deal if someone wants all 3. The 2 yr.old can be exposed to my buck before pickup if they want her bred. They haven't been advertised anywhere yet.
No takers on the BCMs but I have some time on them. My roo is not terribly aggressive and probably won't go after them until next year. I let them out in the pasture with the big birds Sunday for the first time. They are staying in their little group but covering a lot of ground. They are pretty gross because they just wade through the mud...and their little feathery butts have no clearance.
There is some squabbling in the evening when all the chickens come in to eat but they are attached to their smaller pen and go in there to eat & roost. I lock them up because they cannot compete with the big girls and they take more time to eat. I guess I should say settle down and eat -- all the freedom has given them a case of the sillies. They run around in circles a bit before they eat.
Hopefully next week I can start integrating a few of the Ideal Poultry chicks. Looks like at least 2 buffies, no idea what the rest of them are. I only ended up with 12 live ones. One died a couple hours after delivery, then another every 12-14 hours for the first 2 days. The live chick warranty expired after the 4th one died, they reimbursed for those 4. Of the other 4, well, I missed an escapee and only found feathers...one just totally disappeared and the other 2 just fell over and died at different times during the last 2 weeks. None except the very first one who died ever looked like it had anything wrong. The first was weak coming out of the box.
I am a bit disappointed, I have had better results with incubating my own. But I did buy all pullets so hopefully no more roos.

I spoke way too soon about the hawks.

I just went out because my hens were sounding the alarm call and there were TWO on top of the d'Uccles' run trying to get in. I said a very unsavory word and chased them away, but the poor chicks were cowering in the corner of their coop. I'm waiting for them to get a chance to calm down before I check them out and make sure they didn't injure themselves panicking. The hawks didn't get in or hurt my hens, so I'm really lucky. This was my first hawk encounter.

I spoke way too soon about the hawks.

I just went out because my hens were sounding the alarm call and there were TWO on top of the d'Uccles' run trying to get in. I said a very unsavory word and chased them away, but the poor chicks were cowering in the corner of their coop. I'm waiting for them to get a chance to calm down before I check them out and make sure they didn't injure themselves panicking. The hawks didn't get in or hurt my hens, so I'm really lucky. This was my first hawk encounter.
Aw that’s terrible. I hope the chickies aren’t too traumatized. So happy that nobody got hurt tho.

Reading the Advocate right now be like
This Is Fine GIF by MOODMAN

Screenshot 2021-07-23 21.55.13.png

Today the BCMs learned to follow the bush-hog and eat the maimed bugs & grasshoppers. They are really fearless, all the bigger chickens usually hide until I have a big mowed area before they chow down. I usually only have a couple of white, wild egrets right near the tractor. After 3 hours of bush hog chasing the bcms are fat and exhausted. They all piled up against the gate and I had to move the chicken pile to put them in the pen. The pasture was so high the goats are hidden and the half grown chicklets had to hop and struggle along but they kept up pretty well.

Y'all, it's so dang hot. I played a risky card and set 10 d'Uccle eggs this morning in the bator for my friend... as hurricane season ramps up right around their hatch date.
I surprised you need an incubator...21 days in my carport ought to do it, it's warm enough and humid enough, just need to turn them.!
I wish there was a standard size d'uccle.

Back
Top Bottom