"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Thanks Mary! - you are right, I WAS thinking of Ranch Outlet -- could "see it" in my minds' eye but couldn't remember the name of it!
Now off to mapquest to print out directions to the Carenco store!

frow.gif
Hi everyone!! Scubadeaux here
frow.gif

I live in Tangipahoa parish, love it but don't see many around with chicks??
idunno.gif

Great thread, great site!! Thanks to all here I just had my first hatch (Silkies)
bun.gif
in my lovely homemade incubator! Now have 13 in now, and getting another bator to set another hatch!!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
Going for BCM, Russian Orloff, and Showgirls if I can find em. Kinda my "fantasy" hatch
lau.gif

Best of luck to all getting your chicks soon...
thumbsup.gif

Yea, I said howdy twice
hide.gif
...silly!
smack.gif
Had thread confusion
hu.gif

Harry, I was not able to make it to the auction, my brooders are bustin' !! I am dying to make it to the auction soon...I am gonna try and get the schedule and definitely make one. I have not met anyone that is doing the "chicken thing" around here, most look at me like I am out of my mind! So camaraderie is sooooo welcome!!

Yeah..they could get too hot...but make sure they aren't in direct sun...don't be sorry...I worry just as much lol Wen we aren't working...I am constantly out there checking on them....

I have mine outside--they are a month old now--- during the day they have a brooder underneath a shady oak tree; they spend the night in a big box in the utility room -- I don't bring them in until around 8:00 pm & they go right to sleep until 6 a.m. when we get up & I put them out for the day.
I had a light in their utility room box the first couple of weeks but they quickly weaned off of it -- they had enough room to sleep away from it & when they started to feather in I left it off entirely & then started putting them outside during the day--they've been fine.

edit to add; the brooder is inside a enclosed yard & it is also totally enclosed and wire around it too---I was leery of snakes that might try to crawl in but they'd have to be so small the chicklets would eat them as worms! and I put a patio chair on top of the brooder to weight it down --JUST IN CASE something climbs the fence & tried to get in! lol I am a paranoid chick mom too -- these six babies are my precious blue Ameracauanas that hatched from very blue eggs, so they are very special to me!

Last edited:
Have not checked in in a while.Hope everyone is doing okay.
Been busy here hatching out chicks. Just got a bunch of
cuckoo marans hatched out.
Now I am looking for some duck eggs. Wanting flying
mallard and wood duck eggs or something similar(colorful)
like the wood ducks. Don't want any muscovies.

Back
Top Bottom