"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Re: DE

I bought a 40 lb. bag of "food grade" DE from the Carencro Feedstore for about $28 with tax. I specifically asked for "food grade" more than once.

I later went by Chastant Brothers in Lafayette to pick up a few other things and asked if they carried DE. They told me about there are to kinds they carry: "food grade" (a couple of bucks cheaper than Carencro, but I don't remember off hand) and "feed grade" DE. "Food grade" is fit for human consumption (and white in color, I think). It is quite a bit more expensive than "feed grade"and they assured me is safe to add to chicken feed and have for them to dust themselves, although I have read that chickens don't like to dust in the feed grade (it is brown.)

Just FYI.

Quote:
That's what I always heard, too.

Is everybody else getting rain? we are so glad! we needed it on the garden. Sure is going to be HOT and HUMID this weekend though!
tongue.png

Getting some rain not enough though

Had a lady give me a woody duckling today she found in her driveway
wee.gif

Said was no water within 3 miles of her house in the city lol
But I was more than happy to help her out
wink.png

It's storming here!! And your right it's going to be very hot and humid this weekend. But I do hope it stops cause we have 1000 more feet of fencing to run tomorrow. Gotta get it done cause this is 2 days in a row our colt has broke through the electric fence.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!!

Missi

Rats!
rant.gif
I already added some feed grade de to my feed as I stored it in buckets. The bag said it was safe to add to feed. Since my chickies are only 5 weeks old, they shouldn't be bothered by the de by the time they get to laying age, right? Do I need to avoid that de for their bedding, too? I can just use it around the yard for general bug killin'.
idunno.gif

Quote:
That's what I always heard, too.

Is everybody else getting rain? we are so glad! we needed it on the garden. Sure is going to be HOT and HUMID this weekend though!
tongue.png

We got rain alright. We had to go to a Grad. party in Bunkie, we got caught in it. It was raining so hard we could see the car in front of us!!

Just registered to post but have been reading for months now. We were bit by the chicken bug and are overrun with a modpodge of chicken. We have a turkey, barred rocks, easter eggers, bantam cochin, silkies, nekid necks, reds. Probably up to about 30 plus. We have one aged three stall coop that we are working on fixing up. And building a brand new very large chicken arc and have plans to add a raised coop down the line. I also am doing some wildlife rehab work.

I am glad to hear that Chassion Bros has DE. I was not sure were to find it and ended up getting it from Altas Feedstore in Breaux Bridge. I am in Lafayette but have been driving there to pick up chicks and feed. They make their own feed which we find is cheaper and better quality than the namebrand varieties. They just started carrying DE and want to say I paid somewhere between 18-25 for a 50lb bag of feed grade DE. From what research I have done the only difference is feed grade can not be directly consumed by humans (some ppl use it as a suppliment) but feed grade does not effect egg or meat quality. The only difference in feed grade is they add bentonite clay which prevents feed clumping and acts as a drying agent when used on bedding. Bentonite clay is safe and is actually used in cosmetics and soaps (it give slip to shaving soaps, baby powders, creams, etc) and is same to consume as well (it is used in diarrhea remedies.) I would not suggest consuming the feed grade as the quality is not up to human standards but it is absoulty safe for your chickens and other livestock.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom