"Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps"

Hi everyone. I have been looking at BYC and have no idea why I didn't come to the LA forum. As always a lot of good info and help. I was wondering if there is anyone near the Ponchatoula area, that has dealt with special need chicks, that would be willing to take a look at my 5 day old chick. It has a problem with it's leg. I don't know if the leg got stuck in the incubator or if it had to do something with the hatching process. I will try and take a picture and see if I can post it here. Thanks

You can fix this with a small bandaid. Tape the two legs together leaving about a one inch space between the legs. Leave the bandaid on for a few days. The chick should eventually be able to stand on two legs. At first, it'll fall all over the place while it tries to use it's legs. You can find more information online by looking up "splayed legs". Good Luck!

I tried the bandaid trick when I had one like this. We still had to end up culling it. One leg was completly under the chick and the other was out like this one. It still couldn't get to food or water even after a couple of days!!

Hi all!

I'm sure Mike is fine. Probably just busy like most of us. It may be that he's not getting his notifications for the posts on the forum. I just realized that I hadn't received any in quite a while. I had this new design.

I saw the flood pictures. Some of you REALLY got a soaking.

Welcome to the two new eggs from Hammond & Jena.

All of the discussions about turkeys are very interesting. I'd love to get some too once I get moved and settled.

I put my first sebbie egg on "lockdown" this evening. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it hatches. I have 21 more sebbie eggs in the incubator that hopefully will be hatching over the coming weeks.

As many post that were made today I got 2 notifications. Sometimes I'll go days without one!! Crazy!

fl.gif
on your Sebbie eggs Twiley!! Hope they all hatch!!

Did you hatch this chick or bought it this way? Looks like a dislocated hip. I had one hatch this way and ended up putting it down.

Chris

Hi Chris, a friend hatched our chicks. Out of 25 this is the only one to have a problem. It gets around, eats and drinks.

You can fix this with a small bandaid. Tape the two legs together leaving about a one inch space between the legs. Leave the bandaid on for a few days. The chick should eventually be able to stand on two legs. At first, it'll fall all over the place while it tries to use it's legs. You can find more information online by looking up "splayed legs". Good Luck!

Thankyou I will try that. The wee little bit is feisty and strong and sooo cute! (g)

Look how cute !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :love I have never heard of the breed Euskal Oiloa (Marraduna Basque). What made you get that breed? Thanks for sharing your pics. :)

I love looking at all the different breeds online; I think that will be my downfall!  I first read about them on the Greenfire website (called the Basque Hen on their site), but the price was more than I'm willing to pay for chicks. I really liked what they had to say about them (high egg production, great foragers and very friendly), so I did a little research and found some hatching eggs at a reasonable price. Ten out of the 11 shipped eggs that made it to lockdown hatched. I  just love the little cuties!  I really hope they are as friendly as adults.

Please post pics as they grow. I would love to see them.

Hi everyone.  I have been looking at BYC and have no idea why I didn't come to the LA forum.  As always a lot of good info and help.  I was wondering if there is anyone near the Ponchatoula area, that has dealt with special need chicks, that would be willing to take a look at my 5 day old chick.  It has a problem with it's leg.  I don't know if the leg got stuck in the incubator or if it had to do something with the hatching process.  I will try and take a picture and see if I can post it here.  Thanks

Welcome to BYC. Sorry to hear about your baby.

This site should help you with your baby. I have had a chick or 2 in the past with a bad leg and I was able to correct it.

https://sites.google.com/a/larsencreek.com/chicken-orthopedics/

Good luck and keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom