louisiana sticks

I added two silkies to my habit! I loooove them! I want more, I am so addicted to my chickens! They are both black, one hen and one rooster. I really want some other colors to add. I also bought some more cages so I have somewhere to put all of these birds. I also would like to eventually add an Ameraucana roo for my girls. They are still only like a month old so it isn't too big of a hurry. I think we are about to be getting rid of some of our mixed babies. We just have so many chickens all of a sudden!

Last edited:
Just lost three gorgeous silkie chicks to a coon. i caught him inb a trap and let him bake in the sun. 1 black frizzle, 1 blue splash, i partridge about 5 wks old.. so glad i have several in the brooder.

I am so sorry to hear that. We lost one of our Ameraucana's to a snake while they were in the brooder. I was heart broken. We also lost one of our RIR to a coon. It was able to stick it's hand in and grabbed her. Couldn't get her out, but killed her. I was so sad, she was one of my first chicks I had gotten. We didn't even have brooders when we had gotten them, there was only three of them and I actually kept them in my house. I hate losing any of our animals. We have better secured the cages now. I just wish I would have known to do that before I had to lose any of my babies. My other 2 RIR are doing great though and will be starting to lay eggs any day now. Does anybody think that $10 is too much to pay for week old white silkies? I didn't even pay that for my two grown ones so I am not sure what they normally go for.

Downsville here. That's in NE LA...about 15 or 20 miles NW of West Monroe...in the piney hills.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Hi,
I have 6 silkies - 2 are buff - I bought them from a lady out in CA..are beautiful birds, and probably show quality.
2 are black -
1 is solid white
1 is smoky colored (some call it blue)

They are not hatchery babies...I got the black, white, and smoky colored one from a breeder in Illinois.

They are all about 4 months old, except the white one. The only rooster is the smoke colored one. He has outstanding fluff and stature. All have the purple or turquoise ear lobes. If you want to check back with me in a few months, I will probably have some very fine babies for sale. One of my black ones has 6 toes, but that does not make a difference to me, while it might matter to others.

They need extra care - they only get to be around 3 pounds, I think and can not fly...also, their top-knots don't allow them to see much. They prefer to roost in thick bedding on the floor of the henhouse. They can't be let out in an open-topped pen. It's good to know all this before you buy.

I also have light, buff, and dark Brahmas. They are very good quality, though I bought them from hatcheries. My light brahma roo is a sight to behold...but brahmas too will get really hot and need fans and lots of shade during the hot humid summers here. They really get to be LARGE...I don't think a hawk would attempt to grab a chicken of that size, but I still lock them up tight every night.

Thanks Cally for the info. I have banties right now. They are growing and just got into their coop two nights ago. Keep me in mind when you have some babies. Do you find your brama's are aggressive? My little bantie brahmas are.

Debbie

Quote:
Hi,
I have 6 silkies - 2 are buff - I bought them from a lady out in CA..are beautiful birds, and probably show quality.
2 are black -
1 is solid white
1 is smoky colored (some call it blue)

They are not hatchery babies...I got the black, white, and smoky colored one from a breeder in Illinois.

They are all about 4 months old, except the white one. The only rooster is the smoke colored one. He has outstanding fluff and stature. All have the purple or turquoise ear lobes. If you want to check back with me in a few months, I will probably have some very fine babies for sale. One of my black ones has 6 toes, but that does not make a difference to me, while it might matter to others.

They need extra care - they only get to be around 3 pounds, I think and can not fly...also, their top-knots don't allow them to see much. They prefer to roost in thick bedding on the floor of the henhouse. They can't be let out in an open-topped pen. It's good to know all this before you buy.

I also have light, buff, and dark Brahmas. They are very good quality, though I bought them from hatcheries. My light brahma roo is a sight to behold...but brahmas too will get really hot and need fans and lots of shade during the hot humid summers here. They really get to be LARGE...I don't think a hawk would attempt to grab a chicken of that size, but I still lock them up tight every night.

How about some pictures of your non hatchery silkies!

Back
Top Bottom