Louisiana's Newest Flock

Boone Farm

Songster
May 23, 2017
Louisiana
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Yes. I first decided to get chickens a couple weeks ago and was able to find some chicken pullets online. I picked them up May 12th. They were born somewhere in the first week of the year.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

I live in a city that only allows 3 chickens (no roosters) so I was only able to get 3.

(3) What breeds do you have?

I have 2 Barred Plymouth Rocks and 1 Rhode Island Red. The Rocks are named Salt and Pepper and the RIR is named Tony's (a creole seasoning that is a redish color; we are from Louisiana so we put this on everything)

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

Since my original desire to get chickens I scoured the internet for any and all information. I have watched countless videos on chickens and chicken care as well as read blogs and articles on them.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I am a homebrewer of beer and have recently gotten into backyard gardening. My fiance and I have herbs, tomatos, bellpeppers, jalepenos, sweet peppers, chilli peppers, okra, and cucumber. We both love to cook as well as eat.

Here are the ladies:
IMG_3576_zpswadzad2t.jpg

IMG_3581_zpsboyvqlkf.jpg

7BE7DF9C-D3BF-40A7-9AA3-195717606F3D_zpsihgk5hma.jpg

They love running around the yard and playing in our roses flower bed. Luckily they haven't tried getting into our raised beds where we have most of our vegetables. The first week we had them they lived on our patio, but I couldn't take all the 'mess' they left behind so I now have a 2' chicken wire fence. Tony is super friendly and will let you hold her. Salt and Pepper are a little less agreeable at this point but I'm sure they will come around.

None are laying yet but we are hopeful they will start sometime in June.

I am very much looking forward to sharing my experience with our chickens!

Welcome to BYC!
Congrats on finally getting some chickens! ;)
You will love them, until the figure out how to get in your garden....beware it will happen, unless you block it off too.

After a week I decided to get a camera so I can watch them at work. Here is my backyard. I have now planted the planter box with veggies. They are all about a foot tall and I didn't leave much room between them hoping the chickies would stay out. They haven't jumped on the box once so I really hope they are just interested in everything else.

4CDA4FA4-D6C1-48A6-843A-E685C5657061_zpstdap2gml.png

Back
Top Bottom