Lovie is limping

GlovesB

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 3, 2014
Felton, CA
Today I noticed Lovie was limping. The last couple days I’ve spotted her sitting down more than normal and it seems she lost a little weight. Her right leg is somewhat hot but I don’t see anything stuck in her foot etc. I’m wondering if it might be scaly mites?

Attachments

• 186D53AC-86DD-4240-BDAC-46B1C1767B3C.jpeg
    186D53AC-86DD-4240-BDAC-46B1C1767B3C.jpeg
    370 KB · Views: 9
  • FD6C2DC3-6C40-4BE4-8387-CBFA7BC8DE55.jpeg
    FD6C2DC3-6C40-4BE4-8387-CBFA7BC8DE55.jpeg
    371.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 19FEF0E2-8DFC-4707-BDC5-633D376BD630.jpeg
    19FEF0E2-8DFC-4707-BDC5-633D376BD630.jpeg
    321 KB · Views: 9
Is that blood on the foot in the first picture? It looks like an injury. Can you soak her feet and legs in some warm Epsom salts water daily for about 15-20 minutes? If the skin is broken on the foot pad, you can put some betadine and sugar or honey, and bandage the foot with a gauze pad, and strips of vet wrap. This is how bumblefoot gets started with a cut or injury, and then bacteria enters the wound to form an abscess.

Feet just look a little dry.

Does Lovie lay eggs? When was her last one?
She has been laying and I think her last lay was a couple days ago. I’m wondering if she just sprained or pulled something. I have her in a crate tonight so she doesn’t have to jump up on the roost.

Is that blood on the foot in the first picture? It looks like an injury. Can you soak her feet and legs in some warm Epsom salts water daily for about 15-20 minutes? If the skin is broken on the foot pad, you can put some betadine and sugar or honey, and bandage the foot with a gauze pad, and strips of vet wrap. This is how bumblefoot gets started with a cut or injury, and then bacteria enters the wound to form an abscess.
I think it’s just the photo. I edited it bc the first pic was pretty dark. I’ve inspected it several times since and I don’t see any broken skin or blood. But I was thinking about giving her a good old soak in Epsom salts anyway.

She has been laying and I think her last lay was a couple days ago. I’m wondering if she just sprained or pulled something. I have her in a crate tonight so she doesn’t have to jump up on the roost.
Ha! She JUST laid an egg even in her temp carrier home! Such a little champ!

So we’re on day 4 now. I’ve kept her in her “hospital” bed and since Tuesday. She seemed slightly better so I took her outside yesterday and she hobbled over to the coop and laid an egg. I let her sleep with the rest of the Girlz last night. She barely made it outside this am and just sat down. When I picked her up to put her back in confinement, I can hear a weird noise when she moves. It almost sounds like a popping or grinding noise. Can a chicken dislocate a hip?

Back
Top Bottom