Low effort Coop expansion ideas

PalomaNova

Songster
5 Years
Jul 4, 2018
Europe
Hi all!

Cn you help me to come up with an idea how to expand my coop?
IMG_6930.JPG

Hi all!

Cn you help me to come up with an idea how to expand my coop?View attachment 2141177
Convert an old shed.
Try calling one of the local shed sellers and see if they collect old sheds from properties and ask if you can have one. All you'll have to pay is delivery fee.

You never really answered my questions but you don't need to. I don't think you can expand it that much and make it work. My suggestion is to start from the beginning and build a walk-in coop. My limit between a small coop where you have to reach in to access everything is 8 chickens. Any more than that and it is very difficult to build it big enough for the chickens and give you access to everything inside.

Do you have 6 in there now? I don't know the exact size but in the picture it looks pretty small. But pictures also can make things look larger or smaller than they really are. But I would suggest making it taller for anything more than six. I am having a hard time thinking of a way to convert that Having dimensions would help with ideas

How much do you want to expand it? What size, in meters, is that and what size do you want to wind up with? How many nests and how much roost space?
Sorry i missed the question depth :)
I have no clue in size but to guide myself i would assume it should probably be 2 meters in height to have easy walk in. it should not be too big of a size. Roost space up to 20 i guess?

My limit between a small coop where you have to reach in to access everything is 8 chickens. Any more than that and it is very difficult to build it big enough for the chickens and give you access to everything inside.
I think you have a point regarding the reach in access. I already find it annoying to clean and the roof is heavy to lift off . A walk in would make a big difference.

Do you have 6 in there now? I don't know the exact size but in the picture it looks pretty small. But pictures also can make things look larger or smaller than they really are. But I would suggest making it taller for anything more than six. I am having a hard time thinking of a way to convert that Having dimensions would help with ideas
When we bought it i was a complete novice. The shop said this size was for 6. There are 2 nesting spots but i had to make an extra roost (there are 3). Only advantage is warmth in a small place in winter (it doesnt get cold here though, up to -5c).

Housing 20 birds means going big.
I have 20 and they are housed in a coop measuring 8x14 feet.
My coop has internal nests and a feeder in there. I have housed 24 in it but in winter they were not so happy.

Roughly you would need 2.4 meters by 5.4 meters for 20 birds.

I vote a big shed.

Back
Top Bottom