low hatch rate and one slightly deformed chick - what have we done wrong? :(

Thank you. I think it looks like splayed leg, although it's just on one side, I'm going to try bandaging, like the Chicken Chick website explains.

I've bandaged the chick's legs together and its managing to stand up by itself - but to balance she's curling the toes up on one foot.... will I need to put "shoes" on its feet too?

Thanks, Dannyelle, we've made her a shoe for the foot with the curly toes. She's doing quite well and managed to stand up by herself with her bandages and shoe!
We're wondering whether she's eating enough - at the moment we're hand feeding her and she hardly seems to eat anything - will she just not need very much at the moment? She seems to be fine with drinking (with us gently pushing her beak into the water, and once she did it herself)

How many hours has it been since hatch? I wouldn't become concerned until it's been over 48 hours... I would just continue teaching it to eat and drink a little at a time. Maybe add some electrolytes to the water...

Thanks for replying. She's over 48 hours - she was born two and a half days ago. She is eating - I moisten a finger and dip it in chick crumb and hold this out to her and she'll sometimes peck a little off my finger. It just seems to be such tiny amounts, and not having any experience, I just hope it's enough. She does seem pretty happy in herself and is very determined to stand up, so doesn't seem too weak. Would I buy electrolytes somewhere - would there be a special mixture or something?

http://www.raising-happy-chickens.com/egg-incubator-to-brooder.html

This article says 72 hrs... I'd think it's fine, but if you're concerned then you could get electrolytes from any feed store. I'm not really that experienced either! Lol This is my first time as well, but I can tell you that when my broody hatched her chicks they didn't eat or drink much for the first few days. I did put the "sav-a-chic" electrolytes in their water the first day as an added boost. But other people use a little apple cider vinegar and some feed tiny bits of scrambled eggs... Wish I could help more.

Thanks for replying. She's over 48 hours - she was born two and a half days ago.  She is eating - I moisten a finger and dip it in chick crumb and hold this out to her and she'll sometimes peck a little off my finger.  It just seems to be such tiny amounts, and not having any experience, I just hope it's enough.  She does seem pretty happy in herself and is very determined to stand up, so doesn't seem too weak. Would I buy electrolytes somewhere - would there be a special mixture or something?

My mistake with the first incubation attempt was keeping the incubator in an area of the house where the temperature fluctuated. I ended up with some deformed chicks. Later, I realized my mistake and since have incubated in a room that I am able to keep the temperature the same. Have had great hatches since then, with no deformed chicks.

I also changed to a different incubator, use a digital thermometer/hygrometer, and check the temperature around the incubator to see if there are any spots that are consistently warmer or cooler than the rest of the incubator.

Thanks for all your help. I think it was the night time temperature in our house that caused our problems - we're hoping to get some more eggs this week and start again - with a heater in the room at night! I will give the chick some chopped boiled egg tonight, if it'll take it, and get the supplement or some apple cider vinegar for it.
I was also wondering how long bandaging and chick shoes work for - does anybody know when the chick's bones would be set and you wouldn't be able to manipulate them? Thanks.

You should read that article again-I think a week or two but you adjust them everyday I believe... You take them off and assess and readjust until they are walking normally.
Thanks for all your help.  I think it was the night time temperature in our house that caused our problems - we're hoping to get some more eggs this week and start again - with a heater in the room at night!  I will give the chick some chopped boiled egg tonight, if it'll take it, and get the supplement or some apple cider vinegar for it.
I was also wondering how long bandaging and chick shoes work for - does anybody know when the chick's bones would be set and you wouldn't be able to manipulate them?  Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom